• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Efl TV highlights deal

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
With the EFL seemingly keen on showcasing every single match after 2025 and these are my predictions for the next cycle of EFL TV Rights

TV's 3pm blackout scrapped and every match shown live.

Sky hold position at a lower cost of £100m per season

ITV Secure access to League cup (3rd pick / 2nd semi final and final non exclusive), 20 championship matches and highlights for £30m a season

Viaplay or a streaming service pick up all remaining matches for £50m per season. (Access to Champ, league one and two with remaining league cup matches not shown on ITV or Sky)

I follow scrapped as all matches move to Streaming service bar ITV / Sky picks

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
EFL Tv rights bids are due to be submitted today from memory. Be really interesting to see what happens with them

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Still no signs on the next TV Deal for the EFL. Lets hope the offers are good and substantive as we need a good tv deal, with FTA LIVE matches (Via ITV or BBC) and also all games streamed either via a joint up I follow (Monthly charge, rather than game charge, split across the sides in the usual context) or via streaming site such as Viaplay, Apple or Amazon,alongside Sky sports set of rights (Wherever they end up).

I follow could look at £15 per month for all matches outside other picks (in my example above ITV / Sky picks). Spread that across 300,000 people would bring in a revenue of £45m across the clubs (I actually think you could get to 500,000 subscribers, especially if you make this app worldwide rights. Obviously this is prior to any Overseas tv rights and below would be Domestic numbers only. Also based on 10 months paid subscription rather than 12 as people won't pay in the summer for no matches.

If you them assume, Sky at 100m and ITV at 30m that is £175m per season up from £119m currently.

Championship - £140m per annum
League one - £21m per season
League two - £14m per season

Last edited:

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I hope this is a deal for all matches for a fixed monthly price if this is factual

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster

Talks are EFL Rights set to double in value.

Additionally, instead of lumping its rights into one broad offering, the EFL will purportedly invite offers for the Championship, League One and League Two, the playoffs, the EFL Cup and the EFL Trophy, which have been split up into 20 separate packages.

Apparently an announcement due next week.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Can't be good news for Leagues One and Two.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Can't be good news for Leagues One and Two.
20 packages does seem a huge amount of packages. I assume the income will still be distributed in the same manner of 80/12/8.

Even if you separate the league and cups / playoffs

Champ -
lge 1 -
lge 2
Pizza trophy
lge cup
playoffs -

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
20 packages does seem a huge amount of packages. I assume the income will still be distributed in the same manner of 80/12/8.

Even if you separate the league and cups / playoffs

Champ -
lge 1 -
lge 2
Pizza trophy
lge cup
playoffs -
50/30/20 would be far more equitable, but until the EFL implements a "one club one vote" system the current voting bias in favour of Championship clubs makes it highly unlikely to happen ! :(

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
50/30/20 would be far more equitable, but until the EFL implements a "one club one vote" system the current voting bias in favour of Championship clubs makes it highly unlikely to happen ! :(
I agree, but I think Financial distribution equality would need premier league involvement and probably involve a lot of regulation. Earlier in this thread, I Have laid out why i Would have an English football app with all top 5 divisions of English football matches available. 100m people world wide at £10-15 etc. would see tv monies double to triple and be able to then ensure financial security for all clubs in the top 5 divisions.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I agree, but I think Financial distribution equality would need premier league involvement and probably involve a lot of regulation. Earlier in this thread, I Have laid out why i Would have an English football app with all top 5 divisions of English football matches available. 100m people world wide at £10-15 etc. would see tv monies double to triple and be able to then ensure financial security for all clubs in the top 5 divisions.
But that's exactly why the PL was formed - so the top 20 clubs could take more of the money.