• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Energy Prices

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Martin Lewis' advice is that if you can find a fixed rate at 40% or less extra then go for it, otherwise it's probably not worth it. He also said you likely won't find one, unless it's a loyalty offer.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Martin Lewis' advice is that if you can find a fixed rate at 40% or less extra then go for it, otherwise it's probably not worth it. He also said you likely won't find one, unless it's a loyalty offer.
That's 40% higher than the variable rate on offer. I've just come to the end of a fixed rate with Octopus and they are offering a loyalty fixed rate at around that mark. I think Scottish Power is the other one. As for switching there just is nothing out there. Best stay on variable until 1st April or when the cap increase is known and then reassess.

Banksy

That's 40% higher than the variable rate on offer. I've just come to the end of a fixed rate with Octopus and they are offering a loyalty fixed rate at around that mark. I think Scottish Power is the other one. As for switching there just is nothing out there. Best stay on variable until 1st April or when the cap increase is known and then reassess.
Or make a killing flogging blankets to the neighbours.

Rosencrantz

Or make a killing flogging blankets to the neighbours.
download (1).jpeg

Oldsmobile-88

We will be back to the days of just heating one room as my gran did in the Winter.She moved her bed into the lounge between Nov-March.

A lot is said about insulation, a bit of education about energy efficiency would not go amiss but of course that is not going to be in the interests of suppliers.
Smart Meters despite the hype around them do not save consumers money.Every household is paying extra to roll them out across the country a bit odd because the householder does not own the meter in their property.

Another bug bear of mine is ‘Green Energy’ Deals, absolute nonsense. I’m surprised suppliers get away with that marketing pitch. Also surprised it’s not reported to Trades Description especially as some pay slightly more for their energy on that tariff to relieve their consciences as they drive around town in SUVs & 4x4s.

Grecian2K

Not to mention the execs and management jetting off for their luxury holidays (or just regularly commuting to and from their offshore corporate head offices).

Kerchings all round.

Oldsmobile-88

Not to mention the execs and management jetting off for their luxury holidays (or just regularly commuting to and from their offshore corporate head offices).

Kerchings all round.
The big players, as predicted years ago by many in the respective Gas & Electricity Industry’s before they were split up would there would be a few huge multinational companies left in the game.
Gasprom were looking at taking over British Gas a few years ago.

The UK energy market has been a treasure trove for companies not from these shores.

Grecian2K

Indeed Olds. Forget "tell Sid"... it's more a case of El Cid where a lot of our utilities (and former building societies) are concerned. A bit ironic really when you consider how, even though we've done to Brexit-flounce, significant parts of our key infrastructure (rail, energy, water etc) are still safely esconsed in EU hands. Talk about "taking back control)

And, talking about water, I note that Macquarie, formerly disgraced after the Thames asset-strip, have now got their feet back under the table with Southern Water. Reckon those near the Test and the Solent had best keep their eyes open (and nose clips on) for the almost certain deluge of kanga-poo.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The Chancellor will be giving us a £200 loan to help offset the hike in energy prices, as Ofcom raises the cap by £693.

With inflation and the increase in NI contributions the next couple of years are going to be interesting!

Mr Jinx

Another bug bear of mine is ‘Green Energy’ Deals, absolute nonsense. I’m surprised suppliers get away with that marketing pitch. Also surprised it’s not reported to Trades Description especially as some pay slightly more for their energy on that tariff to relieve their consciences as they drive around town in SUVs & 4x4s.
"Green" has turned into little more than just another racket...