• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Energy Prices

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
The practice of entry by a warrant to install a PP Meter to recover debt has been going on for at least 20 years. It is usually a last resort.
Or it used to be, before magistrates throughout the nation were, apparently, given carte blanche instructions from above just to rubber stamp Excel spreadsheet applications before the army of disgraced ex PCs and defrocked night club bouncers are unleashed by the (largely unrestrained) "debt collection agencies".

Oldsmobile-88

Or it used to be, before magistrates throughout the nation were, apparently, given carte blanche instructions from above just to rubber stamp Excel spreadsheet applications before the army of disgraced ex PCs and defrocked night club bouncers are unleashed by the (largely unrestrained) "debt collection agencies".
It’s been a few years since I had to liaise with a rep from a supplier. They always had to make a individual appointment/request to get a warrant for a address. What seems alarming is Centrica(British Gas in old money) have farmed this work out.
The process from the debt getting ‘bad’ to installing a PP Meter could take 6 months with numerous visits to the property by the Debt Rep.
A Meter(Gas) is rarely removed for debt in a domestic property post 2001 after a huge **** up in London when a elderly couple died of hypothermia after a disconnection for non payment.
The meter on that occasion was in a box outside. Gaining entry & a warrant was not required.

Grecian2K

Sadly mate, although that process used to be the case it does seem no longer to be the case. 😥
All in the interests of "judicial - and financial - efficiency I guess. Such is "progress". 🤮
What galls me most is that the excuse for a significant chunk of those iniquitous standing charges are reported to be to cover the defaults, not by the impecunious poor, but those failed opportunist carpet-baggers who set up unviable companies who set up dodgy operations when times were good only to scuttle back to their own tax havens when the winds blew a bit cold.

Oldsmobile-88

Sadly mate, although that process used to be the case it does seem no longer to be the case. 😥
All in the interests of "judicial - and financial - efficiency I guess. Such is "progress". 🤮
What galls me most is that the excuse for a significant chunk of those iniquitous standing charges are reported to be to cover the defaults, not by the impecunious poor, but those failed opportunist carpet-baggers who set up unviable companies who set up dodgy operations when times were good only to scuttle back to their own tax havens when the winds blew a bit cold.
It’s a absolute scandal the practices that are happening to a once great British industry.

British Gas Corporation, as it was called when i started was run by people with integrity who had a grounding in the industry. Employees were proud to be associated with such a name.
Compare that to the charlatans who run that industry now ?

Grecian2K

Now now Olds...I know you're a bit sensitive about your age by surely it was South West Gas Board (HQ Twerton, Bath) back when you started! 😜
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_board

Or even the Exeter Gas Light & Coke Company???
(Thinking about it, the last bit of the name might, nowadays, attracted some of the City slickers - and sniffers)

Remember them...back in the days when we had those impressive constructions called "gas holders" to buffer us against fluctuations.

Last edited:

Grecian2K

The government "energy support" scheme has been estimated as costing a potential £69 Billion.

Which (strangely enough) is roughly equivalent to the record windfall profits just announced by the UK listed "big two", Shell and BP.

Anyone else think that they should at least be taking a bit more of the weight?

Also the cynic in me does wonder whether ALL of the international energy giants might have BILLIONS of reason to keep the Ukraine pot simmering for as long as possible?

Banksy

The government "energy support" scheme has been estimated as costing a potential £69 Billion.

Which (strangely enough) is roughly equivalent to the record windfall profits just announced by the UK listed "big two", Shell and BP.

Anyone else think that they should at least be taking a bit more of the weight?

Also the cynic in me does wonder whether ALL of the international energy giants might have BILLIONS of reason to keep the Ukraine pot simmering for as long as possible?
Conspiracy theories, conspiracy theories. I think personally we’re living in a computer simulation.😀

Oldsmobile-88

The figure G2K mentioned is frigging crazy. Borrowed money from the Treasury(taxpayers) in effect going to the coffers of pretty big players in the world wide energy market. I know something had to be done, but what huge cost to the country.

I think I’m right in thinking that it’s around the same cost of the furlough scheme ?

Alistair20000

The figure G2K mentioned is frigging crazy. Borrowed money from the Treasury(taxpayers) in effect going to the coffers of pretty big players in the world wide energy market. I know something had to be done, but what huge cost to the country.

I think I’m right in thinking that it’s around the same cost of the furlough scheme ?
Correct £70 billion on Furlough.

tavyred

Just to add a bit context Germany is expected to borrow €500BN plus in 2023 primarily to cover its over reliance on Russian energy.
Other fiscal horror stories abound across our continent.😱