• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Eng V USA. AKA The Wayne Rooney Testimonial

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
It doesn't happen all that often but I find myself in total agreement with Mox!
Possibly doesn't happen often that ANYONE agrees with Ant ! :)

Antony Moxey

That’s cos you’re not right as often as I am.

Stelios

This is how you do it when you've won 2 x Euros and 1 x World Cup for your country, have already retired from international football and have nothing left to prove:

David Silva to take an honorary kick-off when Spain host Bosnia

Spain will play in Las Palmas for the first time since 2007 when they host Bosnia in a friendly on November 18 and David Silva will be in attendance as a special guest.

The midfielder retired from the national team in the summer, but will be at the Estadio de Gran Canaria to take an honorary kick-off.

"November 18 will be a special day for all," Spanish FA president Luis Rubiales said on Tuesday at the launch event for this match.

"Remember that many players from this island have represented the national team."

Silva is one of them, having been born in Arguineguin on the south coast of Gran Canaria.
Let's not forget that Rooney himself retired from England duty at the ripe old age of 31 after turning down a recall to represent his country for the World Cup qualifiers against Malta and Slovakia in 2017.

Hopefully the Wembley fans will give him an Icelandic Viking Thunderclap at the end as a fitting tribute.

Oh, and despite retiring for a 2nd time he will still finish with a worse goals per game ratio than Peter Crouch :p

elginCity

Sorry, should have been clearer; Southgate's first game as England manager v Germany.

I do accept times have changed, with some players retiring early and others feigning injury, and the international cap is no longer considered something special, and well earned, an achievement based on merit. Where a player would once 'win' a cap, now it appears they're being given away. I've a similar view regards the former European Cup, the competition of national champions being opened up to the Champions League; to me it's lost something special, I no longer get excited about watching, say, Man U v Juventus as I once did. Wembley being used for semis is another example; to me it has helped devalue the FA cup.

Money is always at the root of these decisions, but this continual dumbing down, yes it does make me a tad miserable ! :D

Rooney to toss the coin, honorary kick off or a lap of honour ? Absolutely fine with all of that, and I hope his charitable foundation makes a mint.

Terryhall

Sorry, should have been clearer; Southgate's first game as England manager v Germany.

I do accept times have changed, with some players retiring early and others feigning injury, and the international cap is no longer considered something special, and well earned, an achievement based on merit. Where a player would once 'win' a cap, now it appears they're being given away. I've a similar view regards the former European Cup, the competition of national champions being opened up to the Champions League; to me it's lost something special, I no longer get excited about watching, say, Man U v Juventus as I once did. Wembley being used for semis is another example; to me it has helped devalue the FA cup.

Money is always at the root of these decisions, but this continual dumbing down, yes it does make me a tad miserable ! :D

Rooney to toss the coin, honorary kick off or a lap of honour ? Absolutely fine with all of that, and I hope his charitable foundation makes a mint.
To reiterate, the FA is keeping the match proceeds for themselves, there is a bucket collection for Rooney's foundation but zero donation from the FA.

Stelios

Well..........

I've heard so much about this game the past few days that I think I've changed my mind! What the hell. It's only a friendly. Let him enjoy it. If he doesn't deserve this then no one ever will. We want players to have pride and passion in playing for England. We demand it. I'm not a fan of mawkish sentimentality (something the USA excel at) but it's a bit harsh if we just forget about record breaking players and toss them on the scrapheap when we're done with them. Even if the results were not what we wanted you cannot say he didn't give his all.

He's still playing club football (I think he retired too early from England but can understand why he did) and I wouldn't bet against him scoring tonight.

Whilst I remain a little dubious about certain aspects of it you can't really say he doesn't deserve it. I do not like the constant comparisons with how badly the 1966 squad were treated (very badly) because they did actually win a World Cup but I applaud efforts to reward/commemorate great England service today and in the future.

Terryhall

As if this game hadn't wound me up enough with the build up, I only now realise that it isn't on terrestrial TV. Guess that means I'll have to watch something else whilst doing the ironing.

Stelios

As if this game hadn't wound me up enough with the build up, I only now realise that it isn't on terrestrial TV. Guess that means I'll have to watch something else whilst doing the ironing.
Yes. ITV losing the rights to England games after a feelgood World Cup reminds me of England cricket going to Sky after the 2005 Ashes.

Not good.