• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

England v croatia

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
We don't really have any players who would get anywhere near a World XI
Near or in? Given that the most countries that could be involved in a World XI is eleven, and that we’re currently ranked (I think) five then I think you might be a little wide of the mark, especially if you really do mean ‘near’. I would think at the very least Harry Kane would be near.

IndoMike

You wouldn't necessarily pick one player from each of the top eleven ranked teams, so England's ranking is not really relevant.
It's a matter of personal taste - like cheese - but I would rank Ronaldo, Aguerro, Lewandowski, Mbappe, Cavani, Suarez and of course Stockley as more mobile and dangerous strikers than Harry.
Regarding England, the sum of the parts is better than the individual parts. As I said above, it's clear the team is enthusiastic and wants to do well : they don't come across as seasoned professionals who are bored with it all - so they are getting some pretty decent results. With the Premier League clubs obsessed with buying often mediocre foreign players and foreign managers in general not knowing or trusting our younger players it is indeed difficult for whoever is the England manager to pick a strong team.

Antony Moxey

The point being that you said ‘anywhere near’. I suspect if you canvassed managers from the top division in the top fifty ranked countries in FIFA for their 23 man World XI squad that it would contain at least one England player. If that proved to be the case then most certainly England players would be near a starting eleven.

It’s also worth, when dismissing the talent this country’s players possess, noting that England have now qualified for the last four in two consecutive major tournaments. You don’t manage that spirit and enthusiasm alone, you’ve got to have a squad with skill too.

IndoMike

The point being that you said ‘anywhere near’. I suspect if you canvassed managers from the top division in the top fifty ranked countries in FIFA for their 23 man World XI squad that it would contain at least one England player. If that proved to be the case then most certainly England players would be near a starting eleven.

It’s also worth, when dismissing the talent this country’s players possess, noting that England have now qualified for the last four in two consecutive major tournaments. You don’t manage that spirit and enthusiasm alone, you’ve got to have a squad with skill too.
Yes, of course we have players with talent, but not enough talent to get into a World XI. I named 5 or 6 strikers who IMO (of course) are better than Kane - therefore Kane is 6th in line, which is not close. Ah, but I suddenly see that you've slipped in "23-man World XI squad" - a bit naughty when I clearly stated a World XI team. But I doubt if any of our players would get into that team, either, so my view has not changed. Our players are 7/10 types : in World football there are hundreds of players better than that.

Antony Moxey

You didn’t clearly state a world eleven, you clearly stated NEAR a world eleven - see post #11 on this thread for the exact word for word quote. But whatever, you carry on believing there are hundreds of players better than the team that’s got to consecutive major tournament semi finals, I’ll concentrate on enjoying our national side’sresurgence.

IndoMike

You didn’t clearly state a world eleven, you clearly stated NEAR a world eleven - see post #11 on this thread for the exact word for word quote. But whatever, you carry on believing there are hundreds of players better than the team that’s got to consecutive major tournament semi finals, I’ll concentrate on enjoying our national side’sresurgence.
I said wouldn't get near a World XI - that means I'm talking about a World XI. I clearly didn't say "anywhere near a 23-man squad", although by inference what I said would mean that. And I'm right, so it's not really a question of carry on believing : I'm just right : end of. I'm enjoying our recent successful results, too : if only we could get a couple of class players good enough to make a World XI - it would make all the difference.

Last edited: