• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

England v Denmark: Match Day Thread

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
As we all know, new Wembley as an arena sucks balls. Last night was the first and only time I have ever experienced a quality atmosphere there. It was genuinely bouncing, not something I normally associate with England games.
Came across that way on the tele, wish I could go to the final.

PeteUSA

I think we're extremely lucky that the danes dont want to do anything more about that laser incident. That was serious in the extreme, and I believe that had Kasper been aware (I'm not sure that he was) and said the incident upset him, that result would have been reversed and the game awarded to Denmark. That whole incident sickens me to my stomach! Now the whole world will home in on that!

Banksy

I think we're extremely lucky that the danes dont want to do anything more about that laser incident. That was serious in the extreme, and I believe that had Kasper been aware (I'm not sure that he was) and said the incident upset him, that result would have been reversed and the game awarded to Denmark. That whole incident sickens me to my stomach! Now the whole world will home in on that!
Agree ,disgusting behaviour , unfortunately we seem to have our share of brainless low life. Makes you feel ashamed to be British sometimes. Something else I don’t like is the booing and whistling during other nations ‘ national anthems , I suppose the pinheads think it’s clever.

STURTZ

I would imagine the Danes are mightily ****** off. Imagine if we went to play a semi in Denmark, their supporters booing our anthem and our every move, referee awarding a penalty for a dive, VAR backing it up. Laser pens directed at our goalies eyes. Cheating bastards we'd probably say, and rightly so. Three lions on a shirt? Footballs not coming home it's gone to the dogs.

Spoonz Red E

I would imagine the Danes are mightily ****** off. Imagine if we went to play a semi in Denmark, their supporters booing our anthem and our every move, referee awarding a penalty for a dive, VAR backing it up. Laser pens directed at our goalies eyes. Cheating bastards we'd probably say, and rightly so. Three lions on a shirt? Footballs not coming home it's gone to the dogs.
I too think the penalty was a soft one and wouldn't enjoy a decision like that against us.

Although I thought this take by Kevin Doyle was an interesting 'devil's advocate' opinion as I hadn't thought of the effect of the two touches in combination.

I suspect in the years to come it will end up in the same conundrum file as the 'did the ball cross the line in 1966?' clip.

The booing was just crass.
The laser pen incident was the action of an individual and I hope the person concerned is picked up on CCTV and dealt with.

Still want us to win on Sunday and really like the current squad and manager.

Mr Jinx

I too think the penalty was a soft one and wouldn't enjoy a decision like that against us.

Although I thought this take by Kevin Doyle was an interesting 'devil's advocate' opinion as I hadn't thought of the effect of the two touches in combination.

I suspect in the years to come it will end up in the same conundrum file as the 'did the ball cross the line in 1966?' clip.

The booing was just crass.
The laser pen incident was the action of an individual and I hope the person concerned is picked up on CCTV and dealt with.

Still want us to win on Sunday and really like the current squad and manager.
Seen from this angle, I see more of a case for a pen:

Even from other angles, although you couldn't see those contacts, it just didn't look like he dived out of thin air. I think VAR got it right.

Spoonz Red E

Seen from this angle, I see more of a case for a pen:

Even from other angles, although you couldn't see those contacts, it just didn't look like he dived out of thin air. I think VAR got it right.
I have to admit that the more I watch this clip the more the balance swings back in Sterling's favour for me too.
Although that's not what I thought on the night.

I don't think there was any gamemanship from the Danish players who did their best to deal with the situation honestly.
But their 'hands off' body language disguise the clip on both knee and thigh with neither defender getting the ball.
Props to Sterling for mounting these runs into the box and forcing the other players to commit.

Rosencrantz

If VAR had that angle you can certainly see why they did not overrule the onfield decision. Both defenders committed to a challenge without getting the ball and making contact with Sterling in quick succession however slight. It is soft, but you have seen them given and not given. This time the ref made the decision that it was enough contact for a penalty. If he hadn't, VAR would probably not have overturned that decision either.

This is what VAR was brought in for, to assist the ref on occasions where what the ref sees and what the VAR official sees do not match. It would help the spectators if you knew the communication between the two as in rugby. In this case, if the ref has said he has seen contact from the right and then left and in his opinion it justified an offence, then VAR should be checking the facts, not the opinion. If they see contact from both sides as in the video, the facts are correct as the referee has seen them and the decision stays with the referee as it is his opinion that counts. The VAR official should only send the referee to the monitor if what the referee says he saw does not match what they see. For example, if there was no contact from one or either defender.

On the whole, VAR has worked much better in this tournament than in the PL where the VAR official has been looking and looking and looking and looking like they are forwarding their opinion rather than just dealing with the facts of what the referee saw.

PeteUSA

I have to admit that the more I watch this clip the more the balance swings back in Sterling's favour for me too.
Although that's not what I thought on the night.
The angle does confirm a penalty to me, although I wonder if there would have been any complaints if it hadn't been given? A really close call, but the player moving in with the hip does put Sterling tumbling. He was an excellent referee I thought, throughout the game. Got the big decisions right and most of the little ones.

Mr Jinx

The angle does confirm a penalty to me, although I wonder if there would have been any complaints if it hadn't been given? A really close call, but the player moving in with the hip does put Sterling tumbling. He was an excellent referee I thought, throughout the game. Got the big decisions right and most of the little ones.
I think not giving it, on the back of not giving the Harry Kane one would've prompted more controversy. Let's not forget a lot of Denmark's free kicks were dubious, given for minutiae.