• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

England v Germany 29 June 2021 Match Day Thread

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
A round of applause for the MDT starter.

Rosencrantz

tavyred

Onto glory beautiful Brexit England!! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿😎

Alistair20000

You are Bunter and I claim my 5 Euros

Banksy

Your wish is my command.3C23B921-7878-4CC9-8607-225B455DEC0F.jpeg

Avening Posse

Very happy. Did what was needed and missed a couple of chances that may have gone in on another day. Germany are no mugs. Haven't watched the prem for years so did not know much about some of the players at the beginning of the tournament, but a lot of talent out there. The only downside for me was I thought Harry Kane looked sluggish but we've got plenty of other attacking options. Definitely in with a shout I feel.........

IndoMike

Associating the England football team with BREXIT or politics doesn't seem right. If we had lost would you have posted "Beautiful Brexit England". Please keep politics to the Politics thread and let's look forward to the Ukraine match in Rome

LOG

A win is a win but it was hardly an inspiring performance and I worry about what we'll do if we go behind.

No real complaints defensively but our attacking was so slow, predictable and ponderous that it gave the German defence all the time in the world to ease themselves out of their armchairs to close down Sterling/Saka whilst marking Kane out of the game. I put this down to the 3-4-3 we started with. It was no surprise that, following the changes, the two times we actually went forward with some speed and purpose, we scored.

It could’ve been very different if Muller had put his chance away. I mean, if anyone should be able to find the corner…

Red Devon

A win is a win but it was hardly an inspiring performance and I worry about what we'll do if we go behind.

No real complaints defensively but our attacking was so slow, predictable and ponderous that it gave the German defence all the time in the world to ease themselves out of their armchairs to close down Sterling/Saka whilst marking Kane out of the game. I put this down to the 3-4-3 we started with. It was no surprise that, following the changes, the two times we actually went forward with some speed and purpose, we scored.

It could’ve been very different if Muller had put his chance away. I mean, if anyone should be able to find the corner…
Winning is all that matters in football....but we are playing with seven defensive players really when you have Phillips and Rice just in front of the back five...the wingbacks seem very cautious to get out of their own half to support our front three as well, Shaw in particularly lacks drive for me despite his role in the build up to Sterling”s goal, I’d have Chilwell in there if he’s available against Ukraine....Stones and Maguire have been superb at the back equally so Mings in the first couple of games, Pickford well worth a shoutout too... I hope Southgate will play with a bit more adventure against Ukraine and sacrifice either Phillips or Rice as I worry he will leave it too late to make changes if we end up chasing the game 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

LOG

Winning is all that matters in football....but we are playing with seven defensive players really when you have Phillips and Rice just in front of the back five...the wingbacks seem very cautious to get out of their own half to support our front three as well, Shaw in particularly lacks drive for me despite his role in the build up to Sterling”s goal, I’d have Chilwell in there if he’s available against Ukraine....Stones and Maguire have been superb at the back equally so Mings in the first couple of games, Pickford well worth a shoutout too... I hope Southgate will play with a bit more adventure against Ukraine and sacrifice either Phillips or Rice as I worry he will leave it too late to make changes if we end up chasing the game 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Don't really disagree with any of that. Dropping one of Rice and Phillips would probably need a change of formation but i wouldn't be against that either. Under 3-4-3 i think Shaw and Trippier were slightly reluctant to get forward because of the space it left behind them but, then again, Southgate does seem to be a "get to 60 minutes at 0-0" type of manager so that could've been what they were told to do. The problem it creates though is that the front three are isolated. There were a number of occasions when Sterling and Saka lost the ball by trying to do too much, largely, it seemed, because there wasn't a pass on as Kane was alone in the middle with three defenders around him and there was nobody making a run from midfield.