• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ethan Ampadu

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
http://www.goal.com/id-ID/news/784/transfer-pemain/2017/07/02/36774512/resmi-ethan-ampadu-gabung-chelsea

this report really is incomprehensible..

(though I suspect Indomike might be able to understand it..)

Last edited:

iscalad

IndoMike

http://www.goal.com/id-ID/news/784/transfer-pemain/2017/07/02/36774512/resmi-ethan-ampadu-gabung-chelsea

this report really is incomprehensible..

(though I suspect Indomike might be able to understand it..)
Yep. Doesn't say anything new, Andrew. More or less a direct translation of everything else we've read.

IndoMike

Regarding Chelsea setting a precedent, perhaps with that in mind it's Chelsea who wish the terms to remain 'undisclosed'?
Maybe. We're all just speculating out of curiosity and the hope City will get a sizeable wedge. Maybe Ampadu really did sign the scholarship forms : we are assuming he didn't from media chat but we don't really know. All very cloak and dagger stuff.

Mike, I'm not at all saying that you don't support the Ampadus. My point was solely made to suggest that they will support City.

Are the compensation rules the minimum requirement that could be exceeded? In any case these form a contract between the Club and Chelsea. What I was hinting at is the suggestion that additional compensation could be provided in the contract between Ethan and Chelsea.
I think that the Ampadus have looked after us by signing the YD10 form rather than to YD7. What's that about? ....

This is a definition I found on http://fullcontactlaw.co.uk/2015/03/eppp-curious-yd-forms/ ....

"If a young player leaves an Academy he and his parents will be given one of these forms to sign, and the termination will be recorded forever and a day as either YD7 release or a YD10 release. The former is better known as a release ‘without compensation’, whereas the latter is a release ‘with compensation’. Where a player is only released subject to a YD10 form, it means that any new club wishing to register that player will be liable to pay compensation as set out by the EPPP tariff (or such other sum as may be agreed between the former and new club)."

I suppose we are clinging on to the hope given by the last bit in brackets.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think that the Ampadus have looked after us by signing the YD10 form rather than to YD7. What's that about? ....

This is a definition I found on http://fullcontactlaw.co.uk/2015/03/eppp-curious-yd-forms/ ....

"If a young player leaves an Academy he and his parents will be given one of these forms to sign, and the termination will be recorded forever and a day as either YD7 release or a YD10 release. The former is better known as a release ‘without compensation’, whereas the latter is a release ‘with compensation’. Where a player is only released subject to a YD10 form, it means that any new club wishing to register that player will be liable to pay compensation as set out by the EPPP tariff (or such other sum as may be agreed between the former and new club)."

I suppose we are clinging on to the hope given by the last bit in brackets.
Good spot Gary.

As you say the "or such sum as may be agreed between the former and new club" is a hope but it seems to me to have been applied by us at the wrong time. We are apparently still in the process of negotiating a fee when it would have been far more prudent to agree one before the release forms were signed.

EX4 6PX

Well-known Exeweb poster
Disappointing in so many ways.

Footballing - the Delle Ali/Matt Grimes route to the top was open to Ethan if he had stayed with City. Moving on means he will have to rely on loans to gain real experience. City would have had more interest in his development as a player than any club where he ends up for a month or two.

Financial - I have no idea how much money the club will make from the deal being done now. I suspect that we will never know, either, with everything under the banner of 'undisclosed'. It could have been so much more if he had signed a contract at City, like Grimes did before moving to Swansea. IMO that would have been a proper thank you for the last few years of his development and the club's faith in him making the first team at 15.

Personal - Ethan has looked after himself and his financial future, but has apparently done little for the club that nurtured him. Also I won't get to see him play in the stripes again - our most talented young player since Grimes.

The only advantages that I can see is some cash coming into the club and a higher profile for our academy - trouble is it also sets an example to the next young star of how to leave City with a bulging wallet. That potentially undermines one of the main functions of the club. It may also mean that we don't give the next rising star a debut before he has finished school.

IndoMike

Disappointing in so many ways.

Footballing - the Delle Ali/Matt Grimes route to the top was open to Ethan if he had stayed with City. Moving on means he will have to rely on loans to gain real experience. City would have had more interest in his development as a player than any club where he ends up for a month or two.

Financial - I have no idea how much money the club will make from the deal being done now. I suspect that we will never know, either, with everything under the banner of 'undisclosed'. It could have been so much more if he had signed a contract at City, like Grimes did before moving to Swansea. IMO that would have been a proper thank you for the last few years of his development and the club's faith in him making the first team at 15.

Personal - Ethan has looked after himself and his financial future, but has apparently done little for the club that nurtured him. Also I won't get to see him play in the stripes again - our most talented young player since Grimes.

The only advantages that I can see is some cash coming into the club and a higher profile for our academy - trouble is it also sets an example to the next young star of how to leave City with a bulging wallet. That potentially undermines one of the main functions of the club. It may also mean that we don't give the next rising star a debut before he has finished school.
We still don't know for sure what the deal is (if any) between Amps, City and Chelsea, so I think it's premature to make any judgements. We don't even know if Amps signed any kind of forms with us. Of course we all hope City can get a couple of million for Amps, but we have to remember that Amps was born and raised as a talented footballer. City didn't make him, but we looked after him well.
Lets see what happens..

denzil

I just hope that we haven't been "shafted" by one of the big boys - whilst they're paying millions and millions for someone from abroad we get breadcrumbs ????????

Perhaps some second hand jock straps are included in the deal.....................

Last edited:
Personally when I first saw that he had left for Chelsea I was completely surprised that he had signed for Chelsea over the other interested clubs like what would seem the obvious option of Arsenal with his dad being there but having had time to reflect on it I can see why taking the longer view would go to Chelsea. They are recognised as having the best youth system in the country and one of the best in Europe so he will get some brilliant coaching but more importantly their structure of loan clubs means that he will get access to proper meaningful mens football at a young age anyway which is what all young players need but which clubs like Arsenal don't always provide their players with. So I can see the reason why he chose Chelsea even though it is doubtful he will ever get the chance to reach the first team there and certainly not until he is in his early 20's.

From Exeter City FC's point of view this is a bit of a disaster and does leave a very sour taste in the mouth which is why IF and its a BIG IF the club does actually receive a 'decent' fee for him then it is ABSOLUTELY IMPERATIVE FOR THE CLUB AND AMPADU'S POINT OF VIEW for them to actually release the information even if it is just a short statement saying something along the lines of 'Exeter City FC are happy that the club and Chelsea have reached an agreement on the Ethan Ampadu transfer for what will be a club record transfer' or something similar. This has the potential to cause some long term damage to the ECFC supporters opinion, goodwill and 'trust' in the clubs business plan to develop our own players for selling on for profit as the perception can easily become 'whats the point in spending all this money on the youth system if when we get a really good young player who can actually bring in real money to the club he can just leave for the fee of litterally 3 days wages of a Premier League player so I'm not going to buy anything to put money into the youth system as it is a waste of money etc....'. That is definately not my opinion but I can easily see the tide changing among the fans because of this.

As a more Global view point it does make a mockery of the whole football world where a club like ours who £3-4million (which Taggy said at an event the club rated Ampadu at by the way) is litterally all the world and pays for all the new stadium work to be done or runs the club for the next 3 - 5 years but to a club like Chelsea they would pay that to a player over a 2 or 3 months after signing them for £100'000'000 million pounds not including signing on fees and taxes etc. If we get circa £100'000 for him because they have worked the system then to be honest it just goes to prove what the Premiership is as a money making whore with no care for what it damages in its wake.

All this nonsense about the 'club should be proud of developing a player that a club like Chelsea wants' drives me up the wall as well, its litterally no different than going down the pub and boasting to your mates that your Mrs has gone off with a Movie Star but she started off with you, both ways you have been shafted.....

Last edited: