• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Evan's to Hartlepool?

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
I would imagine a lot of managers would like to sign him because if he plays as he did before he will help win games. What is happening though, and will continue to happen now is that when a club is linked with him mp's and sponsors will complain and this will continue until a club decides to press ahead with the deal regardless of the criticism. The question is who will be the first to decide its a risk worth taking, and they will no doubt hope once he starts scoring goals the complaints will die down.

If he is guilty what he did cant be condoned but from what little I know of the details doesn't appear to be as bad as others who have gone to prison and have come back to playing football.

DB9

Before he or his agent keep touting Evans round football clubs he should concentrate on his appeal, It has been "Fast Tracked" and if it goes in his favour and he is found not guilty then he should look to resurrecting his career. Until then keep a low profile and sort things

tigertony

Before he or his agent keep touting Evans round football clubs he should concentrate on his appeal, It has been "Fast Tracked" and if it goes in his favour and he is found not guilty then he should look to resurrecting his career. Until then keep a low profile and sort things
Spot-on DB9. This is what his agent / friends / family should be saying.

Richard_Portland says:
If he is guilty what he did cant be condoned but from what little I know of the details doesn't appear to be as bad as others who have gone to prison and have come back to playing football.

I can understand your view totally, and at present he is guilty, but to me the snag is that fans, sponsors and clubs, are now separating out crimes into lists of ''OK to play again'' and ''not OK to play again''. That then becomes a second tier of justice and this country sits on an established and accepted rule of crime = punishment = back to society. I wonder what Jackie Ennis would have said if Sheff Utd had taken McC on for training.
I also wonder what the reaction would have been if Sheff Utd had been bottom of Lge 2 and facing the Conference.
As someone who can, unfortunately, relate to a sibling death, I was uncomfortable at first with Argyle signing McC. I read all the posts and viewpoints and then decided that, in the eyes of the law and country, McC had served his time. Whether the time served was sufficient is a completely different matter and I feel the whole area of the law which involves someone dying needs to be overhauled.
Its a very emotive subject and there really is no correct answer.
Best wishes to you all this Christmas - just don't get more points than us.

tagz

Sky Sports asked all League One and Two clubs if they would sign Evans. The results are;
League One

In talks – Oldham

“No” – Chesterfield, Coventry, Crawley, Fleetwood, MK Dons, Notts County, Peterborough, Port Vale, Sheffield United

Declined to comment – Bristol City, Crewe, Gillingham, Preston, Scunthorpe, Swindon, Walsall, Yeovil

Yet to respond – Barnsley, Bradford, Colchester, Doncaster, Leyton Orient, Rochdale

League Two

“No” – Luton, Hartlepool, Northampton, Oxford, York

Declined to comment – Accrington, Bury, Cambridge, Cheltenham, Dag & Red, Mansfield, Morecambe, Newport, Plymouth, Portsmouth, Stevenage, Southend, Tranmere, Wycombe

Yet to respond – Wimbledon, Burton, Carlisle, Exeter, Shrewsbury

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Of course, I wonder how many of those saying "No" are saying so due to the publicity of the case (or for "moral" reasons) or simply because they either feel they don't need him or couldn't afford him?

Coventry is an interesting one there, given it was them who signed Marlon King after he was released from prison following his conviction for sexual assault - and his last club was Sheffield United.

With reference to the latter, was there a massive outcry when Sheffield United signed King - a man with a history of violent convictions and who is currently serving a third jail term? Did Jessica Ennis and co withdraw their support for the club in ambassadorial roles? Did sanctimonious people with no interest in Football start/sign online petitions as a result of his signing for them?

Frankly it beggars belief.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
apparently 30,000 have signed a petition on Oldhams forums yet 4500 Was at there previous home game

angelic upstart

With reference to the latter, was there a massive outcry when Sheffield United signed King - a man with a history of violent convictions and who is currently serving a third jail term? Did Jessica Ennis and co withdraw their support for the club in ambassadorial roles? Did sanctimonious people with no interest in Football start/sign online petitions as a result of his signing for them.
Whilst I despise the whole trial by social media stuff. Football and sport in general should do a lot more to be moral and consider their roles in society.

motorservices

Whilst I despise the whole trial by social media stuff. Football and sport in general should do a lot more to be moral and consider their roles in society.
and would that inc paying 100K a week wages? Football is in need of a shake down from top to bottom, in some ways its stuck in the dark days and in others its ahead of its time

tagz

apparently 30,000 have signed a petition on Oldhams forums yet 4500 Was at there previous home game
Probably about 10,000 of them have never been to Oldham and never will or watch any of their matches live

DB9

Totally agree about the non footballing people and their sanctimonious bellowing when others have been allowed in but i do refer to my previous postings in saying, Why on earth doesn't Ched Evans or his advisors concentrate on his appeal? He is still protesting his innocence and his appeal has been "Fast Tracked" so let that happen then consider what to do next. I would feel very uncomfortable if ECFC were interested in signing him