• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Evan's to Hartlepool?

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
So who decided the clean up act was to start with Evans ?
As has been mentioned earlier his punishment was jail not ''jail and unemployment'' Can't remember the same uproar when Oldham signed Lee Hughes.
Isn't Gary Madine still playing after being convicted of several assaults in the past? How would anyone feel when collecting their licence after an 18 month ban to be told ''well we had a vote in the police canteen and we've added another 12 months ban so see you next year''

I don't condone the actions of Evans, Hughes or McC but I just take a hard nosed approach of ''time served'' and return to society. I'm also surprised that top footballers (any really) who take part in community programmes, coaching kids, visiting schools etc do not undergo a DBS/CRB check.
I've no idea who started it, but it would be nice if football finally listened wouldn't it?

I've no beef against any individual, nor am I on a witching. I just think sport in general shouldn't put winning/making money before normalising bad behaviour of any description. Phil Taylor is a convicted sex offender, and there's videos of him committing more sex offences on you tube. Yet he's revered in the darting World. It is wrong.

Of course all ex offenders have the right to work, but some jobs are privileged and being a professional sportsman is one of them. Shame the sportsmen cannot act professionally isn't it?

JRFowler

Re: Ched Evans

See here;

http://www.teamtalk.com/league-two/9634036/Transfer-news-League-One-and-Two-clubs-say-no-to-signing-Ched-Evans

I think personally he needs to resolve his convicted name first, if he proves his innocence I'd have him at city, but I think ud miss the boat then as bigger clubs would too.

Taz

See here;

http://www.teamtalk.com/league-two/9634036/Transfer-news-League-One-and-Two-clubs-say-no-to-signing-Ched-Evans

I think personally he needs to resolve his convicted name first, if he proves his innocence I'd have him at city, but I think ud miss the boat then as bigger clubs would too.
Which is why I say sign him now and get him to train with us until he clears his name; then cash in with a great player and a potential high money transfer; that said it is a risk if he fails to clear his name then we've wasted a few months wages... Though I think if we show faith in him being cleared then he would repay us with loyalty (hopefully)...

Mackster

He could start by telling the Dad of his girlfriend to remove his website that has vilified Ched's victim. She's been identified several times and has had to change her name several times. She's effectively on the run because she stood up and said she was raped. You can understand from her experience why so many rape victims keep quiet. Much of this is why there is such a campaign to keep him out of football.
This is the issue for me. I was surprised he was found guilty, the case could have gone either way. Although he is appealing the judgement, there is no acknowledgement from him that he nonetheless acted disgracefully or that he is remorseful for his actions that led to the girl having to seek anonymity.

I don't know whether he is just a thick, self-absorbed, egotistical footballer, or just someone poorly advised on how he should act on leaving prison. If he had shown some remorse for that night, accepted blame for his actions and toured some schools explaining reckless behaviour ruins lives, he may be more readily accepted back into the game.

Whether this would prejudice his appeal, I don't know, but its what any decent person would do who have made a mistake.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
This is the issue for me. I was surprised he was found guilty, the case could have gone either way. Although he is appealing the judgement, there is no acknowledgement from him that he nonetheless acted disgracefully or that he is remorseful for his actions that led to the girl having to seek anonymity.

I don't know whether he is just a thick, self-absorbed, egotistical footballer, or just someone poorly advised on how he should act on leaving prison. If he had shown some remorse for that night, accepted blame for his actions and toured some schools explaining reckless behaviour ruins lives, he may be more readily accepted back into the game.

Whether this would prejudice his appeal, I don't know, but its what any decent person would do who have made a mistake.
If he thinks he's innocent, which is what he's claiming, then why would he show remorse? To him the worst he's done is getting caught cheating on his girlfriend, other than that he thinks he's done nothing wrong. If that were you, wouldn't you think the only thing to do would be to apologise to your girlfriend and then wait and see if she stood by you? Why would you apologise or show remorse for something you're convinced you didn't do? That the girl has to seek anonymity isn't, in his eyes, his fault - he's innocent so why would it be anything to do with him?

Of course his behaviour is abhorrent, but as far as he's concerned the only person wronged here is his girlfriend, and were it me supposedly wrongly convicted of a crime I didn't commit I'm not sure I'd be that enthralled about either having any contact with or helping out the person I supposedly committed the crime against.

tigertony

I've no idea who started it, but it would be nice if football finally listened wouldn't it?

I've no beef against any individual, nor am I on a witching. I just think sport in general shouldn't put winning/making money before normalising bad behaviour of any description. Phil Taylor is a convicted sex offender, and there's videos of him committing more sex offences on you tube. Yet he's revered in the darting World. It is wrong.

Of course all ex offenders have the right to work, but some jobs are privileged and being a professional sportsman is one of them. Shame the sportsmen cannot act professionally isn't it?
It would be great if football and other sports changed there ways but I can't see it in my lifetime. (I'm 60 this year) Money. money and money means that a club facing relegation or on the brink of promotion will sign him. As others have said he would have done better by keeping a low profile until after the appeal and if he was cleared then all those who rightly say ''guilty by jury therefore guilty'' would be have to say ''cleared on appeal therefore not guilty''.

tigertony

Not sure if this has been discussed on here before, but reading the news this week that league 1 side Oldham are considering signing him, would it be wrong for city to sign him or even consider it, just interested to know the thoughts of others as Evans has served his time yet still he seems to be a trial by the public figure and after all 2 other well known footballers were jailed for murder and given 2nd chances in the game.
Can I ask you to think carefully before answering and give me the correct and legal answer not an answer based on your own thoughts. Can you name the 2 footballers who committed murder? (I'm guessing what you'll say thus my comment on legal answer)

tagz

Someone raised a good point that there seems to be a lot more anti-Evans stuff than there is anti Marlon King stuff.

His convictions include;
Theft from a person and from a car
Criminal damage
Attempting to obtain property by deception
Fraudulent use of vehicle licence document
Driving without insurance
Speeding
Drink driving
Wounding incident while playing amateur football (grabbing a player by the neck, then headbutting them and then punching them resulting in a broken cheeckbone)
Two cases involving assault of young women rejecting his advances (which resulted in an 18 month prison sentence and being put on the Sex Offenders List)
Two cases of common assult
Dangerous driving
Handling stolen goods

In total Marlon King has been found guilty of 15/16 crimes I think since the age of 17.

tagz

According to Sky Sources Evan's has agreed personal terms with Oldham

Mackster

If he thinks he's innocent, which is what he's claiming, then why would he show remorse? To him the worst he's done is getting caught cheating on his girlfriend, other than that he thinks he's done nothing wrong. If that were you, wouldn't you think the only thing to do would be to apologise to your girlfriend and then wait and see if she stood by you? Why would you apologise or show remorse for something you're convinced you didn't do? That the girl has to seek anonymity isn't, in his eyes, his fault - he's innocent so why would it be anything to do with him?

Of course his behaviour is abhorrent, but as far as he's concerned the only person wronged here is his girlfriend, and were it me supposedly wrongly convicted of a crime I didn't commit I'm not sure I'd be that enthralled about either having any contact with or helping out the person I supposedly committed the crime against.
The case has been clearly documented, he had sex with a girl who was too drunk to say no, apparently she had enough conciousness to agree to his mate having a go first. He could apologise for this behaviour and leave it up to the court appeal to decide whether this still constitutes rape. He could and should apologise to the girl for mis-reading the situation and not encourage the ****wit Ched fans who have threatened her.

I wouldn't employ him on the basis of his stupidity.