• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City on this day

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loved those reminders of the old "Half tine Scoreboard Board" system of mass-communication!
Back in the good old days when people used to spend the game looking at the pitch and not their phones.
Fondly remember the ones at each end at SJP - used to provide innocent amusement for us naughty little scamp's trying to sneak behind the man with the box of numbers and swapping them around on the board!

Grecian2K

After Tony Mitchell marked Dalglish right out of the game......
Remember it well! Too true about "King Kenny".
The landlord at the time of The Heavitree Arms in Exmouth was an out and out Scouser and used to get copies of the Liverpool Echo mailed down to him just for the match report. According to that rag poor 'ickle Kenny was "suffering from flu" that day, hence the sub-par performance against (let's face it) a back up lower league midfielder.
Worst irony though was, IIRC, his replacement was that effing ginger-haired supersub Fairclough who came on to score the decisive blows. Perhaps, if Mitchell had just gone a little easier of Dalglush, who knows.........?

Andy_H

Loved those reminders of the old "Half tine Scoreboard Board" system of mass-communication!
Back in the good old days when people used to spend the game looking at the pitch and not their phones.
Fondly remember the ones at each end at SJP - used to provide innocent amusement for us naughty little scamp's trying to sneak behind the man with the box of numbers and swapping them around on the board!
When we were creating the Memorial Garden, about 30 tons of 'soil' were moved from the Well St corner area to provide the earth for the garden. Along with about 15 tons of burnt coke from the old changing room hot water system, was one of the numbers you refer to, a bit battered and dirty but still recognisable as to it's original use.
It's now in the ECCFC Heritage Museum should you ever get the chance to visit and view.

Grecian2K

When we were creating the Memorial Garden, about 30 tons of 'soil' were moved from the Well St corner area to provide the earth for the garden. Along with about 15 tons of burnt coke from the old changing room hot water system, was one of the numbers you refer to, a bit battered and dirty but still recognisable as to it's original use.
It's now in the ECCFC Heritage Museum should you ever get the chance to visit and view.
Cheers Andy. Although what's the point of just ONE number? (Unless, of course, the opponent is the Argiggle in which case you can usually safely assume their score is a nice, big, round ZERO!) :D

Oldsmobile-88

Can anyone remember when the halftime scoreboards were last used at SJP ??

They were on the fence of the SJ Rd end by the grandstand corner & on the BB fence by the Cowshed corner,iirc.

iscalad

They were on the fence of the SJ Rd end by the grandstand corner & on the BB fence by the Cowshed corner,iirc.
1971 for sure

Oldsmobile-88

1971 for sure
I can remember them in use in 1973/74..

iscalad

I can remember them in use in 1973/74..
Umm, I was joking.😗

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
This reminds me of the optimist who used to sell papers after the game in St. James Road. He thought that shouting "half-time results" would boost sales!

Oldsmobile-88

To answer my own question,I remembered a friend of mine put the scores up for a few seasons & he thinks it stopped around 1974.