• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City on this day

Bri 'n' God3

On this day 42 years ago.
Lost 0-4 at Swindon.
My memorable 1st away game outside of Devon.The first of many disappointments on the road.
Great excitement as a 16 year old getting onto one of the five coaches that left the bus station.
You had to be on yer toes in Swindon,the coaches did not drop off or pick up at the ground in those days so avoiding a booting was all part of the excitement.

Mad day looking back,that seemed normal at the time.
Hi. That same match was my first away game out of Devon too. It was our first big league away day after promotion to the old Div 3 (L1). It was a bit of a baptism for us 15/16 year olds - a 4-0 drubbing and running to the coaches at the end I seem to recall.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Went to the Den for a Division 3 game around 1979,a low profile kept.
It was around the time that the National Front were big & visible at grounds like Millwall,just to add to the air of menace about the place.
Not many fans gave it ‘the large’ there in those days unless they were amongst a huge following.

Oldsmobile-88

Hi. That same match was my first away game out of Devon too. It was our first big league away day after promotion to the old Div 3 (L1). It was a bit of a baptism for us 15/16 year olds - a 4-0 drubbing and running to the coaches at the end I seem to recall.
Indeed..I was quick on my feet in those days :D.

I remember our coach was stopped on the M4 afterwards by the old bill to check that we had left with a full compliment(we had) because a couple of coaches had left hastily,not counted & left some city fans in Swindon.

Oldsmobile-88

F969AD27-F2DA-4FB9-AF5B-5A1B7A164897.jpeg2D0766E1-ECC3-4DB0-B1D7-E05EE5F9BA9E.jpeg

Oldsmobile-88

^^^^
Unusual program size.A4

iscalad

Oldsmobile-88

Decent Swindon team.
Chris Kamara(19)was in good form at the time.He had been controversially transferred from Portsmouth in the pre season iirc

Bri 'n' God3

Decent Swindon team.
Chris Kamara(19)was in good form at the time.He had been controversially transferred from Portsmouth in the pre season iirc
Was he only 19 then? Wow, he dominated midfield that day. Very hard tackling player in a way that he wouldn't get away with nowadays!

Oldsmobile-88

Was he only 19 then? Wow, he dominated midfield that day. Very hard tackling player in a way that he wouldn't get away with nowadays!
Yes,he made a real impression that day.Most opposition players I have forgotten from games in that era,but he was outstanding that day & it still sticks in the mind.

Red Devon

David Moss was someone who went on to have a very good career, over a 100 goals I think