• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Shrewsbury Town. Matchday Thread.

Took my little boy for the first ever time this evening and sat in the stagecoach stand , £42 I will never see again 😂 but he loved it so it was worth it.

Was impressed with the stagecoach stand the facilities and it was perfect for him 👍
The Stagecoach Stand is good, but there's a real problem with bird sh@t on many of the seats. Gulls are using it to roost in the roof and now lots of seats are covered in the stuff. The club needs to address this with bird spikes on the rafters.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
That's the one thing you can say about tonight. Our keeper had bugger all to do all night whilst theirs had to make a decent save in the first half from McDonald and aforementioned brilliant save from Hartridge (???, wasn't sure who it was at the time).
He might have had bugger all to do, but that shot against the bar looked a certain goal and was the best chance of the match

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
The game itself wasn’t the worse I’ve ever seen but at times our reluctance to pass the ball quicker or forwards was infuriating - The formation was a bit negative but it’s a solid point.

McDonald was neat and tidy , I thought the centre half’s was solid but we didn’t look like scoring in a month of Sundays apart from the last 10 minutes - Stanno worked his socks off but lacked support up there…

How Sam Nombe isn’t playing I will never understand - who was the lad who came on up top before him?

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
True, the lad’s had a couple of meh home performances but overall he’s a positive contributor and still developing.
As said previously, I can't comment on the performance or individuals etc. But slating Archie in that way is ridiculous and shows no respect for a player who's done so much in the last few years

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Key was again terrible. Pains me to think how much we could have offloaded him for a while back. Destined for League 2 once someone gives him a contract he doesn't deserve in this league for a season (or, bizarrely above)

McDonald head and shoulders above the rest.

We seem to give the ball most to Stanno, Key and White atm all of whom are very hit and miss.

No end result in the final third as has been mentioned, however Shrewsbury have been smashing teams and we matched them tonight. Not a great run atm without Jevani - we massively miss his creative spark...
Agree with most of this. However, it’s clear to me [if not the manager] that Key is much more effective played deeper. At wing back, at least he gets you 40 or 50 yards up the pitch with some regularity, deployed further forward he doesn’t have the opportunity to do that.

grecIAN Harris

As said previously, I can't comment on the performance or individuals etc. But slating Archie in that way is ridiculous and shows no respect for a player who's done so much in the last few years
Abuse is out of order but let's not hide from the performance tonight. He was bloody awful.

grecIAN Harris

Agree with most of this. However, it’s clear to me [if not the manager] that Key is much more effective played deeper. At wing back, at least he gets you 40 or 50 yards up the pitch with some regularity, deployed further forward he doesn’t have the opportunity to do that.
He needs to be able to to get control of the ball first. I've seen three year olds with a better first than his tonight.

manc grecian

Keys only good moment was when he picked the ball up deep and drove past players. Yes his decision making is suspect but at least give him the chance by playing him in his only position.

Reactions: Egg

Antony Moxey

I raise to your idiotic post - who hit the bar when it was easier to score ?
Clue - it wasn't a team in red & white !
How many games have we now seen with similar performances where we should have but didn't ?
Clue - more than we have won !
UTC
The point being you said if they took their chances they’d have won by a country mile. You could have said exactly the same about us.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
The senior players were let down badly by 'our own' tonight, well three of them anyway. Stanno, working hard gets you a few brownie points just like it did for your Ol' Man but at some point you have to start hitting the back of the net. To be fair to you, the kind of service you need was bereft to say the very least. Archie Collins, poor against Charlton even bloody worse tonight. Couldn't pass wind in a baked bean factory, shirked responsibility. Sort yourself out lad. Worst of all, Josh Key. Couldn't trap a bag of cement, when he did get the ball he'd lose almost immeadiately and managed to make Jake Caprice's nondescript cameo role look dynamic. God only knows why Sunderland wanted to part with a million quid for you, carry on playing like that we'd have to pay them more than double that for them to take you.
Will Aimson made MJP's comments on him look even more laughable than they already were. If he doesn't come back with a tray full of humble pies, his Exeweb membership should be revoked and his keyboard thrown away for ever.
He had a poor debut and him n Sweeney where all over the place for the Burton goal despite a better performance from him.

Glad he was better tonight though..as I have said he's better than what we have atm, just not significantly better and I think Hartridge and Diabate (assuming they stay fit) will be ahead of him in 12 months because they have great potential.

The rest of the comments on the match, I feel for Josh Key, they're gonna do a karma sutra of football positions about him. He's our best rwb, despite defensive frailties. He is no attacking cm or striker. He did well at CB when we had huge injury issues. Again key is either rwb or on the bench.