• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Cambridge Utd - Discussion and prediction thread

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Saturday is a big game now, and we could definitely use a win to settle everyone down.

I'd like to see a more orthodox 3-5-2 which I think would allow us to be solid out of possession but hopefully give us more of a threat in possession. The midfield could be McDonald sitting and Kite and Collins playing as #8's having a bit more freedom to go forward and support the play. Neither Collins and Kite can play as #10's, but could play as #8's or McDonald could be higher with either Collins and Kite sitting etc.

I'd go for:
GK) Blackman
RWB) Key
RCB) Sweeney
CB) Aimson
LCB) Hartridge
LWB) Caprice
CM) McDonald
CM) Kite
CM) Collins
F) Nombe
F) Stansfield

Subs:
Woods
Grounds
Sparkes
Chauke
Scott
White
Mitchell
If you're going to go that way let's at least have a left footed player on the left wing. You've got two on the bench, use them throughout the game especially as both of them are far more use down the left than Caprice is. And why the over complication with your midfield explanation. It's fairly straight forward, two central midfielders doing what central midfielders should do and McDonald linking them to the defence.

andrew p long

Really big game. They are in the relegation places 10 points behind us, with a game in hand. It might not seem like a six pointer now, but come the end of the season it might in retrospect look like a key moment.

arthur

I might be missing something but Key did play RM/RW against Shrewsbury and had a bit of a shocker.
Yes, on the right of a 5 man midfield. Not his best position, clearly. And Saturday told us that Stanno is no good in the Number 10/hole. However, Tuesday showed us that MacDonald anchoring is a real plus. I guess we'll line up similar to Shrewsbury (4 5 1), but with Nombe as the lone striker, a role he doesn't enjoy any more than Stanno does (no-one has since Bowman, let's face it).

Alternatively

Keeper

Key Aimson Hartridge Sparkes

Collins MacDonald White

Stanno Nombe Mitchell

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
If you're going to go that way let's at least have a left footed player on the left wing. You've got two on the bench, use them throughout the game especially as both of them are far more use down the left than Caprice is. And why the over complication with your midfield explanation. It's fairly straight forward, two central midfielders doing what central midfielders should do and McDonald linking them to the defence.
Don't disagree with having a left footed player playing LWB but I don't think GC will start Sparkes, and so far he has also looked to play Mitchell higher rather than a LWB. In fairness to Caprice, although his delivery is inconsistent his best form for us has been as a LWB over the last 12 months.

I don't think my midfield explanation is overly complicated to be honest, especially for someone of your playing background ;). Also, the amount of times you have told people that Collins can't play as a #10 etc, I wanted to get that in there about him playing as a #8 before you came back with that. ;).

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Photo from E&E shows challenge was 50:50 which Harper got his 2nd yellow for IMHO
1676910364742.png

supernova

Photo from E&E shows challenge was 50:50 which Harper got his 2nd yellow for IMHO
View attachment 11029
It doesn't look a yellow in real time, slowed down or in the photo!

grecIAN Harris

View attachment 11029
That's six and two three's at worst.

robchave

I really wish that refs would stamp out this shirt holding. It's only crept into football because refs have been told to 'let the game flow' for television. That's rubbish. If refs enforced the rules, then it would stop. Simple as.
As for the six & two threes argument - give it to the attacker.
The same applies to 'cuddling' in the box. Give a few pens and, again, it would stop.
As for time wasting . . . don't get me started!

Red Devon

Really big game. They are in the relegation places 10 points behind us, with a game in hand. It might not seem like a six pointer now, but come the end of the season it might in retrospect look like a key moment.
Could be down seven points by Saturday Cambridge are away to Fleetwood tomorrow evening.

tom_ecfc

I’m going for a positive 3-0 win in front of a packed out SJP!