• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Fleetwood Town match day thread

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
What I liked particularly about our 2 goals (other than Josh Key’s brilliant build up play) was how both Stanno and Sam took them.
When Stanno laid the ball off to Sam he sprinted into the box but then hung back behind the defender until the very last moment before nipping in front of him to score.
Also watching Sam during the play leading up to his goal he was strong in the initial tussle with the defender, sensed the ball was coming in on the near post and showed great movement and a deft touch at the end.
Coming back from being behind was good too.
We haven’t done that much this season so far so should hopefully be a confidence boost going forward.
Totally agree; in an otherwise fairly even match it was the extra quality of our Jay and Sam that made the difference.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Today was a massive win as our fixture list now is Derby (A), Argyle (A), Peterborough (H), Ipswich (H) which is as tough a run of league one fixtures you will find this season and i would be delighted if we could take 3 or 4 of the next 12.
Derby is actually one of the easier games we've got coming up. After that 6 of our next 7 league games are against the teams currently in the top 6. The other concern is that we have a similar run of fixtures to end the season.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
As Rosencrantz and others have pointed out, we looked at our best early in the season when we played 3 out-and-out central midfielders. Admittedly we outplayed Barnsley with only 2 midfielders and it's possible we could do the same to Derby on Tuesday. However, when we come up against the absolute top teams in the division it seems to be asking for trouble to only play 2 midfielders, especially when we have players of the quality of Dieng and Harper available to bring in.
That means that realistically we have to drop one of our outstanding front 3 and for me Jevani is the most likely. Yes, he's a brilliant creative player but the other 2 are pretty good as well. And in games where we aren't likely to get much of the ball I just think the speed and link-up play of Sam and Jay on the counter-attack is more useful to the team - as we saw for the first goal yesterday.
And where did that goal start? A pass from Brown. Only an idiot would drop him, no matter what formation we play. All anyone who’s advocating dropping him is pointing out is how little they know about a football. You don’t drop your best player, it’s as simple as that.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Derby is actually one of the easier games we've got coming up. After that 6 of our next 7 league games are against the teams currently in the top 6. The other concern is that we have a similar run of fixtures to end the season.
Whilst i don't disagree, i am just making the point that now the run we have is incredibly difficult. Hopefully we will have a fully fit defence or as close as damn it for this run of fixtures

Grecianpasty

And where did that goal start? A pass from Brown. Only an idiot would drop him, no matter what formation we play. All anyone who’s advocating dropping him is pointing out is how little they know about a football. You don’t drop your best player, it’s as simple as that.
This is probably the stupidest thing I've heard all day.

If a player isn't playing well you give him the opportunity to improve, and if they don't they are benched.

Case in point - Matt Jay.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
This is probably the stupidest thing I've heard all day.

If a player isn't playing well you give him the opportunity to improve, and if they don't they are benched.

Case in point - Matt Jay.
Not sure what point you're trying to make. Aside from anything else, MJ has barely featured in League One this season.

Oldsmobile-88

Bank Debit Card(Nat West)found outside the Ladies toilets of the BB.. First name Amy.

It will be handed into the club shop tomorrow morning.

fred binneys head

Not sure what point you're trying to make. Aside from anything else, MJ has barely featured in League One this season.
I think he’s saying that we dropped last season’s best player to the bench when he had a drop in form, so why wouldn’t we drop this season’s?

I wouldn’t drop Jev by the way, it’s just how I read the post above.

Reactions: Egg

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think he’s saying that we dropped last season’s best player to the bench when he had a drop in form, so why wouldn’t we drop this season’s?

I wouldn’t drop Jev by the way, it’s just how I read the post above.
Okay, that makes some sense. Although Grecianpasty overlooks the fact that MJ started the season on the bench, so I'm not sure he was given much of an opportunity to improve his form.

fred binneys head

And where did that goal start? A pass from Brown
Erm, not sure it did.