• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Ipswich Town match day thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree with what most others have said. Beaten by the better side so no complaints. We weren't bad, they were just very good and we won't see a better side in the league at SJP this season. Not only were they good with the ball, moving it quickly and effectively, they were also very good without the ball, pressing our midfield and wing backs with intensity but happy to let our 3 centre half's knock it around between each other without any danger of creating anything.

Blackman today proved to his doubters he's good enough.

I think Nombe should start, although today I don't think it would have made a difference as our forwards had nothing to feed on. Nombe and Stanno both need balls to chase onto using their speed and balance and today that was nullified by the Ipswich midfield.

Thought our crowd was quiet, maybe a noon KO doesn't allow enough time to get the pints in.

One last point, I don't think I've ever seen an away team have so many support staff as Ipswich. Even when we've played Prem teams in the cup they haven't had a dugout full that then spills 8+ members of staff down the side of the pitch with numerous laptops, tablets and constant analysis. All a bit overkill imo.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
There’s defo room for improvement here. I get in the Stagecoach about 14:40 on a normal Saturday, by which time the queue is always too long. Getting anything at halftime would mean missing 5-10 mins of the game. I therefore never spend a penny inside the ground.
The only thing that could possibly speed things up at that kiosk is extra staff, but it’s a struggle getting the numbers that are employed on a casual basis now.
Most are regular staff who have been there for years, the club would be screwed if any of them left. Some of the abuse they get if hot food is out is ridiculous.
A goon gave my good lady a bit of abuse today even after she went down the line saying that unfortunately there was no more hot food. Needless to say she had the last word 😁

DPR1901

If we are genuinely a club 'on the up' with any sort of ambition - we absolutely have to find a way to accomodate more than 7238 for a sell out fixture. No easy answers to this - I get that. But as a city/region I believe the potential for 10000+ gates exists and we have the nucleus of a team that could seriously challenge for Championship status. The current constraints of the ground are, regrettably, likely to limit our ambition to mid-table League 1 at best. Thoughts...?

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
If we are genuinely a club 'on the up' with any sort of ambition - we absolutely have to find a way to accomodate more than 7238 for a sell out fixture. No easy answers to this - I get that. But as a city/region I believe the potential for 10000+ gates exists and we have the nucleus of a team that could seriously challenge for Championship status. The current constraints of the ground are, regrettably, likely to limit our ambition to mid-table League 1 at best. Thoughts...?
Honestly, if we an sustain a league position of top half in this division for another year, then we should start to think about that. We are blessed with a group of players currently that are very attractive to watch. Personally I'm dubious we can hang on to many of them beyond the end of this season. The buoyancy around the club is amazing, but we shouldn't jump the gun on how far we can go at the moment. It would be great to have those 10k numbers for Sheff Wed and Argyle but realistically we could lose both those clubs at the end of this season and pick up Wigan, Blackpool and Huddersfield instead. It would be a huge mistake to make assumptions about the future in terms of what we can sustain in terms of attendances, and one of the reasons our crowd numbers are improving is the option to stand behind the goal in the special atmosphere of the Big Bank. Ambition has to be measured and careful, we don't really have a choice in my opinion.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
YouTube highlights

Thames Valley Red

I’m guessing you went to the bar area of the SASS ?
There was a issue with a oven there. Some of the food was taken to the kiosk at the end of the concourse to heat up.

On the wider issue, it is a struggle to satisfy the larger crowds at SJP with hot food due to the limit on how much food can be put in the warmers. Also the supplier(Chunk) do not deliver on a Saturday which means the amount of food that is delivered is constrained by the amount of cold storage that is available in the ground. This has been expanded this season but the reality is, for larger crowds(6,000+) there is always going to be a issue with supply & demand.

Good effort getting to the ground after a motorway closure in the area mentioned. I’ve done that detour myself, it’s a absolute nightmare at the best of times.
The Ipswich fans and me and the lad suffered the road closure, and has been said RIP to the poor driver. We left at 0630 for the game and arrived 1 hour before kick-off. A extra hour on the journey, we really do need to whip up the support with some targeted music and organised crowd encouragement. Bad day at the office, but Ipswich were good, with £1m right back.

burtiew

A very long drive to see City beaten (5 and a half hours from Norfolk). However, as has been said before, we were beaten by the better team. Their number 6 and 15 were immense. A wake up call, but we ARE 'on the up', and should expect days like this where the gulf in resources are highlighted. The fact that we are competing at the moment is a testament to our togetherness, and a sign of greater things to come. I am excited to be a Grecian at the moment, and look forward to the much shorter journey (40 minutes!), to see the improvement in City at the return fixture.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
One last point, I don't think I've ever seen an away team have so many support staff as Ipswich. Even when we've played Prem teams in the cup they haven't had a dugout full that then spills 8+ members of staff down the side of the pitch with numerous laptops, tablets and constant analysis. All a bit overkill imo.
Just shows the money they’ve got to burn Snoops , guess we’ll never be able to truly compete with a lot of these teams will we? Witness the cost of their full back yesterday . At least we’re growing our own! We are punching above our weight a lot of the time but doing remarkably well at it and beating some of them along the way too like last week.Wish I’d been there . Come on you Reds!

Last edited:

Memphis09

I see the attendance today was 7232 (1208 away). So how was this a sell out
Exactly
There were gaps on the big bank
Must of been all thin fans yesterday
Absolute joke saying it was a sell out

Memphis09

Extra Sky Cameras took few seats away
Not on the big bank
Plus that is nearly a 1000 down on our capacity
Think someone needs to have a word with whoever says these games are sold out