• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Ipswich Town match day thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
No, i was close to the edge.
Yes fan ALERT ! :)

Colesman Ballz

Pre-poured ain't great....but still vastly preferable to pre-digested!
Or recycled as per the case at Warrington ! :cool:

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ant - All business investment decisions are made based on projected future returns (ie assumptions). I think the 'huge mistake' would be to stagnate rather than explore all options to increase ground capacity.

By the way - you probably don't realise this but we're old friends. We went to Newcastle together from Sheffield for the FA Cup 5th round in 1981. I'll never forget that trip and I'm sure you won't either!
Blimey! Thanks for the other driven journeys to games around 1990 when you were based in Nottingham (I think!) - some good ones in there too! Did we get in free at Tranmere because Terry Cooper paid for all the City fans in the away end? Or is my mind playing tricks on me?

Fair point about ground capacity, but I am anathema to the idea of leaving SJP...

Antony Moxey

I am not happy because in my opinion the club are not making the most of the supposed sell out games
Already they are saying we are selling tickets fast for The Sheffield game
Let’s hope we actually fill the ground this time
We need the money to invest in the squad for next season promotion push
What do you suggest they do? Flout health and safety regulations by selling more tickets than they're allowed? It's not the club that dictates how many people are allowed in.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I am not happy because in my opinion the club are not making the most of the supposed sell out games
Already they are saying we are selling tickets fast for The Sheffield game
Let’s hope we actually fill the ground this time
We need the money to invest in the squad for next season promotion push
What do you think will happen if we flout Health and Safety regulations and someone is hurt or worse?

Is it annoying that only 7,200 or so where at the game on Saturday, yes, but is the solution to this going to come tomorrow, no. To increase capacity, even by a small amount will cost a lot of money and probably is not worth the investment of here and now for a slightly increased capacity. Not to dispute that it would be good if we can sustain these attendances over a period of time that it certainly needs to be reviewed and looked into, but lets try and see if we can sustain 6,000 plus attendances.

Topsham Boy

If we ever move away from St James Park then there is a long list of requirements we would need from a new stadium I would have thought.

Good road access, particularly from the M5 and a large car park by the stadium.
A station within walking distance.
A hotel or conference centre to be part of the stadium.
Enhanced hospitality suites…with improved food and drink options throughout the stadium.
Enhanced media facilities.
Large club shop.
Screens and improved media for fans pre and post match.
Improved disabled access.
The list is long……..

All this takes space…..and money of course!

An example I’m familiar with is Reading….their move from the out of date ElmPark in the middle of town to a purpose built stadium….around 24000 all seater with hotel etc etc. funded by John Madjeski.
Reading has a population of c160,000….versus Exeter around 130,000. In the Championship Reading currently average 13k attendances at home. With the right facilities, and despite the draw of the Chiefs, I believe we could average 10k in a new stadium in the Championship (which would include more away supporters of course)….if it was ever to happen!!!!!

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
If we ever move away from St James Park then there is a long list of requirements we would need from a new stadium I would have thought.

Enhanced hospitality suites…with improved food and drink options throughout the stadium.
Large club shop.
The list is long……..

An example I’m familiar with is Reading….their move from the out of date ElmPark in the middle of town to a purpose built stadium….around 24000 all seater with hotel etc etc. funded by John Madjeski.
Reading has a population of c160,000….versus Exeter around 130,000. In the Championship Reading currently average 13k attendances at home. With the right facilities, and despite the draw of the Chiefs, I believe we could average 10k in a new stadium in the Championship (which would include more away supporters of course)….if it was ever to happen!!!!!
AFC Wimbledon
Wimbledon made a return to the Plough Lane after the new stadium was officially opened on November 3. This new stadium, which cost just over £30 million, is built just a few hundred yards from the site where the original Plough Lane, which is the original home of Wimbledon FC for more than 80 years, stood. The construction on the new stadium started in 2015. It has a capacity of just over 9000. The playing surface features a mixture of synthetic and real grass to create an incredible playing surface.

It is not going to realistically happen anytime soon for us unfortunately, a new stadium. The link shows recent costs. Wimbledon I picked out due to the similarities.

Antony Moxey

Large club shop.
The list is long……..

You can pretty much guarantee there WON'T be a large car park, certainly not one that supporters could enjoy. Exeter will say it's due to sustainability and environmental concerns, and that the city provides adequate park and ride facilities and will increase buses on match days.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sandy park cost £15m for a 15,000 capacity.

I mean if we where to move to the idea of a new stadium it would need to be realistically 15,000 in capacity with ability to increase should the need ever arise. If we tried this today, i suspect we would be looking at £25-35m to do a reasonable job of it, if not more with the recent increases in materials etc.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sandy park cost £15m for a 15,000 capacity.

I mean if we where to move to the idea of a new stadium it would need to be realistically 15,000 in capacity with ability to increase should the need ever arise. If we tried this today, i suspect we would be looking at £25-35m to do a reasonable job of it, if not more with the recent increases in materials etc.
Which would be the equivalent of 5 or 6 Ollie Watkin's transfer fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.