• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Ipswich Town match day thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
We need to start with nombe. I prefer us when we play a front three, or if we think we need a front two I’d drop stanno not nombe.

scottus86

We need to start with nombe. I prefer us when we play a front three, or if we think we need a front two I’d drop stanno not nombe.
I agree, however Nombe does need a bit of protection, last season showed that if he plays consistently all game, he starts to get niggles and strains. I reckon it was probably just a squad rotation exercise in a game we were likely to lose anyway.

andrew p long

Should have been a penalty to city there, shithouse ref
VAR would have given it.

manc grecian

I agree, however Nombe does need a bit of protection, last season showed that if he plays consistently all game, he starts to get niggles and strains. I reckon it was probably just a squad rotation exercise in a game we were likely to lose anyway.
He didn't start last week. We're not good enough to play without a focal point up front

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Beaten by the better team who are on their way back to the Championship but defensively we are still struggling.

Played some nice football but that itself is not enough.

This is a different league strong defences and attackers who will take advantage of any defensive errors.

We made two today but the first was the worst one and very little Jamal who had a decent game could do to keep the ball out of his net….same goes for their second.

Top two for me this season Ipswich and Wednesday with the top 8 Clubs staying in that group.

Last edited:

Grecian Max

Comprehensive, that. Ipswich by far the best team I’ve seen so far - properly drilled with more than a few players who are probably Championship quality.

They pressed our wingbacks when we were in possession and then utilised the space between our CBs and wingbacks with diagonal balls when they had the ball. Also managed to dominate the midfield - at one point Archie was surrounded in a circle of 5 Ipswich players.

Beaten by a team that is going to win the league, they were better than Argyle. Hard to criticise City too much but felt like we should have taken it to them more and played Nombe. You have to take these defeats on the chin at this level, the football can be some way higher than League 2.

Oh and Blackman had a good game imo.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
I think it was more to do with the fact that Ipswich play with a box in midfield so GC thought he needed 3 out and out midfielders in there to try and cope with that. Brown’s goals and Stansfield’s unselfish work rate for the team and his recent goal involvements is probably why Sam was the man to miss out.
I’d expect all 3 to probably start next weekend.

With regards to the game after going a goal down early I was actually really pleased we managed to get to HT at 1-0. The last 20 minutes of the first half I thought that we actually came into the game and did quite well which was promising.

2nd half we started quite well without really looking like we would score. The 2nd goal is a killer and shouldn’t of been a corner as it was a foul on Dieng, but Josh Key has to defend it much better.

Ipswich then showed how to see a game out which shows why they lead the league in clean sheets this season.

Ultimately we weren’t quite at our best and Ipswich are a very good side.

The Left wing-back Davis for them cost £1 Million this summer so shows what we are up against. Meanwhile we started 6 Academy players.

Disappointing today, but certainly would have taken 3 points from the last two games if we had been offered them.

Another tough game next weekend (they keep on coming) but hopefully we can get a result.

Last edited:

dontpassback

Beaten by a better side,who knew how to see a game out.we didn’t help ourselves with sloppy passing and not pressing,but GC will learn from this,and we need to start on the front foot

Red red

I see the attendance today was 7232 (1208 away). So how was this a sell out

DawlishBouy

Ipswich easily the best team we’ve played this season. Bigger, faster, stronger, fitter and a lot of quality. Thought we did well to keep the score down.

Status
Not open for further replies.