• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Ipswich Town match day thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

robchave

Obviously beaten by the better side, and probably the best side in the division (hopefully).
Having been in L1 for a few years now, and having had quite a bit of money to spend, Ipswich are probably at the level of a lower Championship side. We, on the other hand, are a top level L2 to mid-level L1 side, made up of home produced youngsters, a couple of aspiring youngsters needing experience and a smattering of experienced players who haven't shone elsewhere.
What that game clearly showed is how much work we need to do, if we are to ever seriously compete at the top end of L1. Fortunately, we won’t be playing an Ipswich every week.

DawlishBouy

Or if your fat or thin
It was no way near 250 seats counted 60 empty in front of journos season tickets are counted
In the Selco the gap between the City and Ipswich supporters accounted for at least 150 seats. About 20 seats lost at the camera point in the Selco. About 60 seats unsold around the camera in the Stagecoach. A little terrace lost to the camera on the BB and there were empty seats across both Grandstands. Exiting the BB was painfully slow even with the reduced capacity. But keep having a dig if it makes you happy.

tonykellowfan

I went to the sell out games v Barrow and Port Vale last season (big bank).

At both of those games I would have spent a lot more on food and drink if only this was available.

It really is criminal to not have enough staff/kiosks to supply the people who are there.

As many have said, beaten by a better well organised and relative to us 'expensive' team.
However, there were some positives in the performances of Caprice, Blackman and Diabate coming back, which hopefully will give us more aerial dominance at the back; it was easy for Ladapo up to this point.
My main concern in many games this season is the number of basic and unforced errors from our players, namely giving the ball away in dangerous places in our half. As the late great Brian Clough and others used to say, ' the biggest crime in football'. Yesterday, as in some other games, our crossing and decision making was poor and I just wish Josh Key be better in this respect instead of always trying to beat the next man, although to be fair this has sometimes worked.
Not too despondent about the result as a draw from last week and this would have drawn less negativity, yet we would have a point less!!
Still a lot to build on and we are definitely competing with the best in this division.

tom_ecfc

At both of those games I would have spent a lot more on food and drink if only this was available.

It really is criminal to not have enough staff/kiosks to supply the people who are there.
Soft drinks vending machine, card only, in and out in 30secs could help?

How about a few piemen (or women) I am sure Chunk & the like might want to fund coats and trays. Sold from pitch side, obs. I'd volunteer but I'd end up eating more than sold, I have already got the attributes to be a poster boy for "Chunk"
f5e9cd7ab3c496eaabc67a18d1d7eb95.jpg

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
How about a few piemen (or women) I am sure Chunk & the like might want to fund coats and trays. Sold from pitch side, obs. I'd volunteer but I'd end up eating more than sold, I have already got the attributes to be a poster boy for "Chunk"
View attachment 9645
We did something like this very briefly about 15 years ago.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yesterday's performance was really disappointing as we are so much better than what we showed yesterday. Whilst unlucky with the corner that led to the 2nd goal (Should've been a foul on Dieng and was a clear foul as well) and with the penalty appeal which you see given a lot up and down the country, we didn't do anything in the game to deserve anything from it. I felt Caldwell didn't try and change things early enough. It was very apparent from the off that what we where doing wasn't getting us anywhere. I would have bought on Nombe at half time personally (Well i would have started him) and also changed the formation much sooner in the game. But hey ho, We move on and hopefully get wins against Oxford and Morecambe to make things better.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Exactly
There were gaps on the big bank
Must of been all thin fans yesterday
Absolute joke saying it was a sell out
Like your poem there, needs a last line….

There were gaps on the big bank
Must have been all thin fans we had to thank
Absolute joke saying it was a sell out
Estimates out without a doubt

DJG.ECFC

Personally think it was one of the worst performances of the season. It’s so easy to hide behind being beaten by the better side when they are up in 2nd place and on a much bigger budget, which is acceptable but my issue is we never took the game to them. I’d rather us loose by 3 or 4 and actually have a go and take the game to them rather then being set up defensively and just accepting defeat from the first whistle. Dropping nombe for an extra cdm/cm is a joke and overly defensive. I’d be fuming if I was nombe, that’s twice in a row now he’s been dropped unfairly imo. By the time sam did eventually come on we were firmly on the back foot and Ipswich were more than good enough to see the game out from there on out being on the front foot with momentum and a lead to defend.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.