• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Peterborough United matchday thread

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think Matt Jay did ok on Saturday, really lacking in match fitness imho on Saturday. He did ok, but compared to the form of Stanno, Nombe and Brown he is nowhere near them at the moment for a consistent starting spot. Jay is still a very good Striker though and his time this season will come.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sorry but one lay off for Jevani doesn't make a good performance.
You said MJ was 'completely ineffective'. I was merely providing one example of how that was, plainly, nonsense.

FWIW, I didn't think the position MJ was asked to play on Saturday saw him at this best. I also thought that Jev wasn't particularly effective, up until the point Sam Nombe came on, playing as a No. 9.

My point, I guess, is that while both players did the job they were asked to do for the team, one is widely lauded [of course, I appreciate the goal at the end played a big part in this] and the other is roundly criticised.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Quick question. Why does a player have to be booked for taking his shirt off celebrating a goal ?

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
You said MJ was 'completely ineffective'. I was merely providing one example of how that was, plainly, nonsense.
OK, I'll rephrase it to 'MJ contributed very little'.

To be clear, I'm not an MJ basher, he just isn't playing anywhere near well enough at present. Of course, it's a vicious circle because you need the game time to get match sharp etc but it's now mid November and I've seen nothing from MJ this season to suggest he deserves to start in games.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Quick question. Why does a player have to be booked for taking his shirt off celebrating a goal ?
"It was largely brought in to avoid time-wasting, as a player must find and put their shirt back on after the celebrations. Removing a shirt also leads to the possibility of displaying political messages on a garment underneath, which is outlawed by Fifa. "

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
"It was largely brought in to avoid time-wasting, as a player must find and put their shirt back on after the celebrations. Removing a shirt also leads to the possibility of displaying political messages on a garment underneath, which is outlawed by Fifa. "
Thanks.
Bloody stupid innit, referees are a bunch of killjoys.

Andy_H

Thanks.
Bloody stupid innit, referees are a bunch of killjoys.
Sorry but it's the players that are STUPID, if you know that you're going to get a yellow why do it, especially as it would only take an innocuous tackle later on the get a 2nd yellow and that then leads to a Red, and not eligible to play in your club's next game!

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
On which subject, I didn't notice Jevani being given a yellow for this offence after scoring Saturday's winner, nor find any evidence of this happening in subsequent match reports ? The Lino did appear to have a quick word with him, but did some commonsense prevail for once ? :unsure:

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
On which subject, I didn't notice Jevani being given a yellow for this offence after scoring Saturday's winner, nor find any evidence of this happening in subsequent match reports ? The Lino did appear to have a quick word with him, but did some commonsense prevail for once ? :unsure:
No, he was booked.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
More to the point, I don't understand why players do it - not just because it's a certain yellow card but because it's a weird thing to do when you're excited?