• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Peterborough United matchday thread

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Jay 5/10, Grounds 6/10. Good grief.
Too right, TBF we dont do this sort of thing on Exeweb.

Bat Fastard

There first looked like a clear handball to me, came at him quick but I thought that was irrelevant in current rules??

arthur

Stunning injury time winner in front of the big bank on a darkening November afternoon - football doesn't get much better than this. :) Fabulous game between two good sides. We were on top in the first half and I knew they'd be bollocked at half time and really come at us at the start of the second. And that they wouldn't be able to keep up the pace and would have to ease off which they did around about the time Sam came on.

Tim Dieng looked really comfortable at RCB which gives us another very useful option - I'd pick Kite ahead of him in midfield anyway. And if anyone had any doubts about Gary Caldwell prepare to banish them. Excellent tactical decisions and, most importantly of all, he really seems to have won the trust and commitment of the players in just a few weeks, which can't have been easy. Hats off...

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
The view from the Posh - apparently they controlled home game and last goal was just a punt down the field !

Rosencrantz

The view from the Posh - apparently they controlled home game and last goal was just a punt down the field !

Well it was a long goal kick which they didn't initially deal with and we got possession off of that. From there on it was quality.

Bridgy 81

What’s very noticeable when you look at our league appearance statistics (and I don’t suppose this comes as a surprise) is that we’ve relied so heavily on so few players so far and that group have all done brilliantly.
I suppose there is an obvious factor for this e.g. injuries to Stubbs, Grounds and to a lesser extent Dieng and Diabate and some less obvious factors e.g. players perhaps not being ‘quite trusted’ like Harper, Kegs and Smith when he was with us, ironically all of those being loanees.
Despite teams going through a whole season only using about 14 players back in the day I think the intensity of football now and the potential availability of up to 5 substitutes to add even more energy to a team clearly makes that unfeasible.
My concern is that if this continues our players who turn out so frequently for us will become jaded or more likely injured.
What’s the answer?
Other than trying to get some of our injured players fit (which we’re obviously trying to do) I think we need to increase the depth of our squad. I know this is dependent on finances but at least we could consider exchanging some/all of our loan players for ones we’re more inclined to use.
Or be bold, as we’ve done in the past and blood some more youngsters. I appreciate you need to be careful not to overexpose them too early, especially in League One, but I’d be keen to see a bit more of Cox, James and Beardmore in the second half of the season.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
What’s very noticeable when you look at our league appearance statistics (and I don’t suppose this comes as a surprise) is that we’ve relied so heavily on so few players so far and that group have all done brilliantly.
I suppose there is an obvious factor for this e.g. injuries to Stubbs, Grounds and to a lesser extent Dieng and Diabate and some less obvious factors e.g. players perhaps not being ‘quite trusted’ like Harper, Kegs and Smith when he was with us, ironically all of those being loanees.
Despite teams going through a whole season only using about 14 players back in the day I think the intensity of football now and the potential availability of up to 5 substitutes to add even more energy to a team clearly makes that unfeasible.
My concern is that if this continues our players who turn out so frequently for us will become jaded or more likely injured.
What’s the answer?
Other than trying to get some of our injured players fit (which we’re obviously trying to do) I think we need to increase the depth of our squad. I know this is dependent on finances but at least we could consider exchanging some/all of our loan players for ones we’re more inclined to use.
Or be bold, as we’ve done in the past and blood some more youngsters. I appreciate you need to be careful not to overexpose them too early, especially in League One, but I’d be keen to see a bit more of Cox, James and Beardmore in the second half of the season.
I think you can add George Spencer to the list - he is a natural goalscorer from what I''ve seen !
UTC

STURTZ

That was our best game of the season. We were beautiful with some scintillating passages of play and great team spirit which led us to go from 1:2 in the 85th minute to 3:2 at the final whistle. Fantastic entertainment. Peterborough are a good team on a great run but we made them look ordinary, I secretly thought we were in for a hammering.

A milestone for City this season and Gary Caldwell as new manager and a game to remember!

Rosencrantz

I think you can add George Spencer to the list - he is a natural goalscorer from what I''ve seen !
UTC
And Harrison King. I have been impressed by him. I like the look of Gabriel Billington as well and Borges and O'Connor... As I have said elsewhere, a strong year group. At this stage you only want to maybe give them a taste or two, maybe near the end of the season if comfortable. They are much better served getting regular football on loan.

It was interesting to hear Kevin Nicholson say in his interview the other day about establishing a strong u21 group again as we haven't really got that at the moment. This group, which includes Harry and Sonny of course, could certainly be a strong core of that. You are probably looking back to the Collins, Hartridge, Sparkes, Key, Randall, Kite, Dean and Seymour group who were around the same age and playing in the PL Cup, doing well. They in the main have turned out pretty good.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
And Harrison King. I have been impressed by him. I like the look of Gabriel Billington as well and Borges and O'Connor... As I have said elsewhere, a strong year group. At this stage you only want to maybe give them a taste or two, maybe near the end of the season if comfortable. They are much better served getting regular football on loan.

It was interesting to hear Kevin Nicholson say in his interview the other day about establishing a strong u21 group again as we haven't really got that at the moment. This group, which includes Harry and Sonny of course, could certainly be a strong core of that. You are probably looking back to the Collins, Hartridge, Sparkes, Key, Randall, Kite, Dean and Seymour group who were around the same age and playing in the PL Cup, doing well. They in the main have turned out pretty good.
I'm already salivating at the U21 prospect - anyone for a Chunk of Devon ?

Attachments