• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Former Players

Martin Weiler

Jordan Moore-Taylor released by FGR.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Maybe we can entice George Friend back.

Banksy

Maybe we can entice George Friend back.
Age will be against him now although after super Jamie Cureton I’d believe anything.Presumably it would have to be some sort of player coach role and would we have such a post available anyway? GC is his own man and wants to build his own team so I can’t see it.

andrew p long

Age will be against him now although after super Jamie Cureton I’d believe anything.Presumably it would have to be some sort of player coach role and would we have such a post available anyway? GC is his own man and wants to build his own team so I can’t see it.
left sided central defender or left back, aged 35, top level experience with Middlesborough and Birmingham.

Is there a vacancy for a player coach of this ilk? Well there is at present because that description is... Jonathan Grounds....

(though funnily enough when Grounds left Middlesborough in 2012 and Birmingham in 2020 on each occasion he was replaced by...erm...George Friend!)

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
No thanks to George Friend we have to be aiming higher.

If we went for a 35 year old who couldn't get a game at an average/poor Championship side that hadn't played for us before everyone would be up in arms.

Bridgy 81

No thanks to George Friend we have to be aiming higher.

If we went for a 35 year old who couldn't get a game at an average/poor Championship side that hadn't played for us before everyone would be up in arms.
I think players who can’t get a game at an average/poor Championship side is exactly the market place we are shopping in e.g. Sam Nombe, when he was at MK Dons but couldn’t get into the Luton side on loan.
I take your point about George Friend’s age though and that others have said we have an offer on the table for Jonathan Grounds (someone with a very similar profile).
Mind you, if Groundsy doesn’t sign, I’d take George as a like for like replacement.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think players who can’t get a game at an average/poor Championship side is exactly the market place we are shopping in e.g. Sam Nombe, when he was at MK Dons but couldn’t get into the Luton side on loan.
I take your point about George Friend’s age though and that others have said we have an offer on the table for Jonathan Grounds (someone with a very similar profile).
Mind you, if Groundsy doesn’t sign, I’d take George as a like for like replacement.
Absolutely, if he was 22 and couldn't get a game at Birmingham it would be a completely different story, obviously.

Grecianpasty

The biggest concern around Friend is that he hasn't been playing football. He's played around 20 games in the last two years.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Alex Moyse moves from Torquay to Dorchester Town.