• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Furlough Payments

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
With the club unable to play football at the moment and effectively trade...would City and any other club for that matter be able to claim 80% of its staffs wages through the government furlough scheme??

Bri 'n' God3

I think I saw that Forest Green are... Actually that may be just staff though rather than players.

Red Devon

I think I saw that Forest Green are... Actually that may be just staff though rather than players.
It would go a long way to easing the cash flow if we qualify.

malcolms

It would go a long way to easing the cash flow if we qualify.
It's a very grey area..It appear to apply to staff that would otherwise be let go. It is unclear whether it covers staff that a company have chosen to retain even though no money is coming in...In my opinion, an employer who has made the commitment to keep staff on should be assisted in the same way as one who would otherwise take the hard nosed business decision to cut staff...

andrew p long

And remember also that it is only 80% of wages up to a cap of 80% of median income ie 80% of (IIRC) 30k pa. most of our senior players are on loads more than that.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
For a member of staff to be paid 80% from the government they have to be laid off, as its happened to my wife. She's not allowed to work whilst being paid this 80%. Had she continued working the company were only able to offer her 50% so its win win. She gets more cash (albeit 20%less than pre coronavirus) and the company don't have to pay her. When its all over her job will be waiting for her to start again. The whole point is to allow peoe to stay at home without havi g to be made redundant. Bery generous from the gov.

IndoMike

For a member of staff to be paid 80% from the government they have to be laid off, as its happened to my wife. She's not allowed to work whilst being paid this 80%. Had she continued working the company were only able to offer her 50% so its win win. She gets more cash (albeit 20%less than pre coronavirus) and the company don't have to pay her. When its all over her job will be waiting for her to start again. The whole point is to allow peoe to stay at home without havi g to be made redundant. Bery generous from the gov.
It's not the Govt's money to be generous with Snoop : it's the people's money
I would say "appropriate" rather than "generous"
Sorry to.be pedantic.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's a very grey area..It appear to apply to staff that would otherwise be let go. It is unclear whether it covers staff that a company have chosen to retain even though no money is coming in...In my opinion, an employer who has made the commitment to keep staff on should be assisted in the same way as one who would otherwise take the hard nosed business decision to cut staff...
How will they know? I'm also hoping to make use of these furlough payments...

Red Devon

And remember also that it is only 80% of wages up to a cap of 80% of median income ie 80% of (IIRC) 30k pa. most of our senior players are on loads more than that.
It would still be a sizeable contribution though not far from 100k a month all staff included.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
If these payments go through then at least Macclesfield players will get paid for a change.