• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary Caldwell Apraisal

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Very true, although I like it when other clubs fans come on Exeweb. Not the ones like Spireite who come to gloat or tell us what the future holds, but the ones who take a genuine interest in ECFC such as sign of the chimes and Grimsby Les. You know you're getting an impartial view with no rose tinted angle or an over pessimistic opinion that many fans have of their own club.
We see too little of Les these days. Sign of the Chimes (or Chimesy as he should now be known) is a wonderful addition to Exeweb.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yep, this is insightful stuff from Sweenz. Not wanting to oversimplify, but it feels a bit like Tis thought he had all the answers; KMT was a promising young manager who could develop but was very raw and (obviously) inexperienced and undeveloped in his thinking. Whereas with Super Gary we *might* have found a gem, a manager who has taken some knocks amd genuinely learnt from them, who is still young but who is very humble and knows that what makes a great manager is that desire - obsession probably - with learning and developing himself first before expecting that of his players.

At our level it would be very unlikely to unearth a real polished diamond of a player, so the fundamental for a manager is learning how to get the best out of individuals and the team collectively. In GC we *just might* have found someone who can do that consistently; still early days of course but the signs are very positive.
Matt Taylor may have been an inexperienced manager when he was first appointed but he had a few years experience by the time he left us and judging by the performances and team spirit in the promotion season he had learnt how to get the best out of players, particularly Pierce Sweeney. However, this is supposed to be a thread about our current manager so I'll just echo everyone else by saying how impressive he has been since taking the job.

Fareham Grecian

Matt Taylor may have been an inexperienced manager when he was first appointed but he had a few years experience by the time he left us and judging by the performances and team spirit in the promotion season he had learnt how to get the best out of players, particularly Pierce Sweeney. However, this is supposed to be a thread about our current manager so I'll just echo everyone else by saying how impressive he has been since taking the job.
Are you saying that you don’t think Sweenz is a better player now than under MT? Cos unless that *is* what you are saying, Matt (great though he was in lots of ways) clearly didn’t get the best out of him.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Some of the early stuff on twitter was well harsh, I understand being apprehensive but thought it was OTT, I know we all loved Matty T but he chose to leave us, even now if we lose a game GC seems to get more stick than previous managers on twitter…

As for appraisal of GC: Bloody Brilliant!!!
Cant stand twitter.

sign of the chimes

We see too little of Les these days. Sign of the Chimes (or Chimesy as he should now be known) is a wonderful addition to Exeweb.
Thanks SRJ (and Snoop for the comment you were responding to), that's very kind. I was wondering about Grimsby Les the other day - I hope he's ok (y)

I've been really impressed with the bits and bobs I've seen where Caldwell has been talking about what he's trying to do. He puts across a real sense of authenticity when interviewed, in terms of his vision and his plans; I can increasingly see how he would have been an impressive candidate when those recruiting spoke to him.

I also caught some of the 'Trust 20 Years' stuff and was really impressed with how he spoke in relation to the model your club operates. I think some of that reflects the EQ that modern managers have (he seems to been around for a fair while, but has a very old head on his 41-year-old shoulders); but he seems to embrace what ECFC is about. I'm sure that if he sustains things over a period of time that suitors further up the food chain will arrive and he'll likely move on; likewise a couple of bad months and the majority will be calling for his head, I'm sure ;-)

I suppose where I'm at with this is that, from the outside, he seemed like a really questionable appointment; but to many, on the outside, a club of Exeter City's stature and history shouldn't be able to compete in L1 as a Trust owned club. On that basis, maybe an unorthodox apppointment to an unorthodox football club (I say that as a positive), is a brilliant match. I've plenty crossed that it's the case.

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not going to go over old ground either. However, it's the bit you said above that I find the most difficult. The short listed applicants (as far as we know) were Caldwell, Artell and Ardley. All three (not including Nico who would have been an even bigger risk) were going to be risky appointments. All three had failed (more than once) and all three had baggage. I didn't understand why you considered Caldwell to be any more of a risk than the other two? For the record at the time my preference was Artell but I implicitly trusted the judgement of the club board. They took three weeks to make an appointment and I find it strange that despite all the board's due dilligence you felt that the internet views of Chesterfield fans had a greater weighting. Anyway, it's water under the bridge you have repented your sins and were hardly on your own in being swayed by internet trolls. I was happy to trust the judgement of Julian Tagg
I had a Partick fan tweet me on the day he was appointed. Needless to say he wasn't very complimentary about Caldwell. I took little notice. I'll judge him on his time here, not what fans of his previous clubs think, and so far I've been impressed.