• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary Caldwell Apraisal

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Chesterfield fans seem to still be taking an interest in GC. The last few pages makes for interesting reading 🤣

To be fair, if Exeweb was a thing in the 80s and early 90s, I wonder if we'd have a similar thread running about Gerry Francis!

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Chesterfield fans seem to still be taking an interest in GC. The last few pages makes for interesting reading 🤣

Yes, some of it is so selective! Two examples last season. Somebody points out we're just 7 points above the relegation places, whereas (as another poster points out) we're actually much closer (4 points) from the play off places.

And then on 29 December one poster is hugely amused by Bristol Rovers pulling level with us after being 2 down. And then absolutely ****** himself as we go 3-2 down. There is then complete silence about the game (which of course we won 4-3!) .....

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
To be fair, if Exeweb was a thing in the 80s and early 90s, I wonder if we'd have a similar thread running about Gerry Francis!
Did Neil McNab ever return to management following his spell with us?

iscalad

According to Wiki
In October 2002 he was appointed manager of Exeter City, a position he held for just four months.

From 2008 through 2013, he coached several teams at Chiefs Futbol Club soccer association.

Then nothing

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd wager he never returned to Devon 😂

Colesman Ballz

According to Wiki
In October 2002 he was appointed manager of Exeter City, a position he held for just four months.

From 2008 through 2013, he coached several teams at Chiefs Futbol Club soccer association.

Then nothing
That was in Atlanta Georgia. He was still Director of Coaching there in August 2017 when he suffered a severe stroke.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'd wager he never returned to Devon 😂
As I intimated elsewhere, I think we're in danger of judging McNab in the same way Chesterfield fans judge GC. The club was a car-crash when he took charge – lest we forget, John Russell's son was given a playing contract, and Uri Geller liked to give the half-time team talks. Little wonder McNab found it difficult.

Kinda ironic that we should slap ourselves on the back for having the foresight to give GC a second chance, while mocking McNab, who, it seems, to me, endured a very similar experience at SJP to GC's at Chesterfield.

Last edited:

Rosencrantz

It's always a difficult job for even an experienced manager to go into a club that is not being run very well. For an inexperienced manager it's often career suicide. You only have to look at recent years down the A380 to see how the management aspirations of Chris Hargreaves and Kevin Nicholson hit the buffers. Both have had to resurrect their reputation through youth coaching and aim to work their way back up up again.

I am sure that is a lesson learned by GC.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster

I can't believe some of the comments on their forum. I can understand the comments from the time he was with them, or had just left them, as he was really unsuccessful as their manager. However, the continuous desire to see him relegate us is a strange one. They appear to be holding on to this hatred towards him.

Not surprisingly, the comments have dropped off since we've started doing well.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I can't believe some of the comments on their forum. I can understand the comments from the time he was with them, or had just left them, as he was really unsuccessful as their manager. However, the continuous desire to see him relegate us is a strange one. They appear to be holding on to this hatred towards him.

Not surprisingly, the comments have dropped off since we've started doing well.
It's their continued belief that we're sleepwalking into a disaster that get me. GC was their manager for 29 games. He's already managed us for 41 games and without any hint of impending doom (@MJP_Exeter might not agree 😉).