• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ok, but very, very early days with that. White, yes, has had some quality moments, but I've yet to see any evidence of consistency and end product so far. And as for Mitchell, don't know anyone can surmise anything on the limited game time.

So my jury is out and probably will be for some time re Caldwell's ability around finding a player.
It is as you say still early days but that's inevitable as this is GC's 1st window so all we can go on are initial impressions and gut feelings. It appears Mitchell and Scott (if he does arrive) are both players whose careers have stalled but both appear to be excellent footballers. You could even argue that Jokull's career has stalled though we aren't signing him permanantly. We are in the market for that type of profile of someone with good pedigree but in need of restarting again. Certainly worked with Dieng, Nombe and Jevani. I was also impressed that Caldwell sourced and persuaded Aimson to join and potentially Pollock so he must have the contacts. I cannot recall us being linked let alone signings players of this ilk in one window? Yes we have a bit more money than we have had in the past but signing anyone north of Bristol in years gone by was a challenge due to our location. There are of course no certainties in life except birth, death and a financial crisis at Exeter City :)

Reference can we afford to lose players? As others have said Key is replaceable as is Stubbs so both of those can leave pain free. We don't know if Nombe has a release clause and if it will be met if that's so we have no choice in the matter. However, I would hope the club recognise that not all business is good business by that I mean we simply cannot agree to lose Brown and Nombe in the same window without a major impact on our form, league placing and ultimtely gates. I therefore hope it's a case of just agreeing to one and telling the other they can leave in the summer

Last edited:

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
If there is a bid in for Jevani I hope somebody from the club is phoning around announcing his availability. A bidding war is the only way that we can make good money out of this.

Benjis

I find it really hard to take this source seriously. Razor is the profile photo...
I know, but they have actually been very reliable, called the matt jay transfer, dieng transfer and mitchell transfer.

Boyo

I take a less pragmatic view about it, keep hold of the lads and have a crack at the playoffs, it’s certainly more likely than relegation - who knows when we’re gonna be in this position again - was 10 years since the last time. This is probably why I’m not in charge of a football club however. I also think we’d be very fortunate to get a few hundred grand for a 28 year old with 6 months of his contract left. I’d roll the dice, a hundred grand is nothing compared to the Watkins/ampadu/Randell fees and he’s been more influential than any of those…
We're 15 points off sixth placed Barnsley and they have two games in hand. We'd need 10 wins and five draws from the remaining 18 matches to get to 73 points, which probably still wouldn't be enough.

The last time we were in a similar position we sold Harley to Swansea for a smaller fee, on the proviso that he came back on loan . We didn't make the playoffs, our best players left for nothing that summer and we went down the following season.

Small steps forward for me. Take the money and build.

Average Joe

The issue I have is we must be looking to sell a player, I have no idea on the amount we have spent this window but it must be near the 1mill mark. Guess we have to recuperate the costs somehow.

Benjis

The issue I have is we must be looking to sell a player, I have no idea on the amount we have spent this window but it must be near the 1mill mark. Guess we have to recuperate the costs somehow.
I mean the only player we have actually spent money on this window is Aimson. Depending on who we sign today the total could increase, but with our current sold players we are doing okay. Looks like Stubbs is going Bradford too so that's more.

Bat Fastard

We're 15 points off sixth placed Barnsley and they have two games in hand. We'd need 10 wins and five draws from the remaining 18 matches to get to 73 points, which probably still wouldn't be enough.

The last time we were in a similar position we sold Harley to Swansea for a smaller fee, on the proviso that he came back on loan . We didn't make the playoffs, our best players left for nothing that summer and we went down the following season.

I’d refer you to my post in the February points prediction thread boyo. After 4 wins in 5 and a commendable point at port vale we’ll be right in amongst it

ryancooper327

When I said, the money could be used to sign the lad from Hull, I was thinking about the lad's wages, not a transfer fee.
I imagine/hope it'll be a free/nominal amount considering they do not want him... Hull City transfer news: Liam Rosenior provides update on James Scott | Yorkshire Post

Colesman Ballz

Eh ? We are just 5 pts off Barnsley although they have 3 games in hand. We do of course still have a potential "6 pointer" with them after last week's postponement. This time last season we were over twenty points behind the Vegans and look what happened ! Just saying like !

denzel

Er, we are 5 points off Barnsley