• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

SaintJames

interesting, wasn't aware the compensation would be as high as that. would compensation still have to be paid if he moves at the end of his contract?
Key and Collins will be offered new and improved contracts (almost certainly have already). Being under 24 compensation would be payable unless the two clubs can agree a deal before the end of his current deal (July 2023). With our track record with selling young players for big fees it would be a massive gamble for a club to sign either Key or Collins without knowing what the fee could end up as. Neither are kids both have played significant numbers of games in the football league and were part of a promotion winning team. Personally I expect to see both players signing one year extensions to their city contracts and then leaving on free transfers the following season unless their form is such that a club higher up the leagues is tempted either in January or this summer. I cant see that for Key with the number of defensive mistakes he continues to make.

Bridgy 81

Could see a team like Bristol City coming in for Collins.
Handy.
Ashton Gate is closer to me than SJP. I could go there, carry on watching him and save a bit on fuel too.
Trouble is Bristol are introducing a clean air zone though, which my car falls foul to i.e. £9 a day.
I think I’ll stick to watching an Archieless ECFC.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Key and Collins will be offered new and improved contracts (almost certainly have already). Being under 24 compensation would be payable unless the two clubs can agree a deal before the end of his current deal (July 2023). With our track record with selling young players for big fees it would be a massive gamble for a club to sign either Key or Collins without knowing what the fee could end up as. Neither are kids both have played significant numbers of games in the football league and were part of a promotion winning team. Personally I expect to see both players signing one year extensions to their city contracts and then leaving on free transfers the following season unless their form is such that a club higher up the leagues is tempted either in January or this summer. I cant see that for Key with the number of defensive mistakes he continues to make.
Sound analysis. City will cite in any tribunal the fee that ECFC were offered for Key by Sunderland which was IIRC reportedly around the million pound mark (though I suspect the actual up front offer was less and the balance would come from contingent add ons.

As to the Tribunal value it would be interesting to know what Bristol City were ordered to pay for Kane Wilson - his situation/record very similar to Josh Key.

My guess as to the outcome for Key and Collins is that both will leave in summer 2023. The Tribunal will then order - or we will reluctantly accept - a low up front payment (200/250k) with extensive potential add ons if they are successful at their new clubs.

DawlishBouy

Sound analysis. City will cite in any tribunal the fee that ECFC were offered for Key by Sunderland which was IIRC reportedly around the million pound mark (though I suspect the actual up front offer was less and the balance would come from contingent add ons.

As to the Tribunal value it would be interesting to know what Bristol City were ordered to pay for Kane Wilson - his situation/record very similar to Josh Key.

My guess as to the outcome for Key and Collins is that both will leave in summer 2023. The Tribunal will then order - or we will reluctantly accept - a low up front payment (200/250k) with extensive potential add ons if they are successful at their new clubs.
Lots of different sources say Wilson went to Bristol City on a free transfer. Preaumably he had a release clause in his contract.

Thames Valley Red

Plus compensation from Rotherham for Taylor and his coaching team.
Plus a tranche of Joel money and money from the loan for Ampadu, he might even get sold in the window, who knows?

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Lots of different sources say Wilson went to Bristol City on a free transfer. Preaumably he had a release clause in his contract.
I believe that Kane was out of contract with FGR. I guess as he was 22 they could have got compensation, if they offered him a deal.

tom_ecfc

I believe that Kane was out of contract with FGR. I guess as he was 22 they could have got compensation, if they offered him a deal.
Quite from the ’Bristol Post’…

”Wilson, League Two's Player of the Year, will arrive on a free transfer following the expiration of his contract with Forest Green Rovers on July 1, but the Gloucestershire club will be eligible for compensation having offered Wilson a new deal last month”

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
All joking aside. If Wilson is not playing at Bristol, maybe a sneaky loan deal with Caprice covering LWB in this scenario?

Boyo

Plus a tranche of Joel money and money from the loan for Ampadu, he might even get sold in the window, who knows?
Both of those would have been built into existing financial plans. Neither were unexpected.

Boyo

With Archie turning 24 on 31 August 2023, is there a scenario whereby he doesn't sign a new contract for us, but bides his time until the 31st and then signs elsewhere on a free as a 24 year old?