• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Making him available for transfer in January isn't releasing him and paying him up. He would only be released in the summer if we dont offer him a new deal next summer. However, making him available in January (if he isnt going to be offered a new deal) could help both the player and the club
But hard to see why he would choose to leave in January, given he has a contract until the end of the season and, in the circumstances, any offers he might get are unlikely to match his current contract. That aside, given he and his partner have just become parents, I wouldn't imagine he'd be in a huge rush to up sticks.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
No chance of the ones we need to keep signing extensions. Collins, key, brown. Then trying to replace decent league one players on league two wages.

Not sure anyone was expecting a nearly out of contract Matt Jay to fetch a fee.
So the question becomes do we try to make some money by selling them in January. And the follow-up question is whether any of our promising under-18's will be good enough and ready to replace them in the team next season so we don't have to spend money on replacements.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
So the question becomes do we try to make some money by selling them in January. And the follow-up question is whether any of our promising under-18's will be good enough and ready to replace them in the team next season so we don't have to spend money on replacements.
No point in risking selling them and plummeting down the table.

SaintJames

No chance of the ones we need to keep signing extensions. Collins, key, brown. Then trying to replace decent league one players on league two wages.

Not sure anyone was expecting a nearly out of contract Matt Jay to fetch a fee.
nobody would expect a fee on a player with 6 months left. It's about saving the wages and making him available 6 months early on a free its not complicated. For egg's comment finding a club now when you have been told you are out of contract would be of benefit to know you have a new contract elsewhere surely?

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
No point in risking selling them and plummeting down the table.
I tend to agree here. This is the balancing act the club have to try and navigate which I think is becoming very difficult.
The Crewe example is something that the club need to have in the back of their minds which I’m sure they do. In 2019-2020 They had an excellent young team which they got promoted from League Two with. Then they all adapted well to League One and finished 12th in their first season. That summer they literally lost all their best young players, many for next to nothing and look where they are now.

I’m by no means saying this could/would happen to us, but we shouldn’t be naive and should be looking at this example and guarding against it.
I’m hopeful we will stay up this season which I still don’t think is going to be as easy as some may think. That was the aim for this season and even with our decent start I think this should still be our priority.
This summer is where things will be difficult in terms of hanging into our best players etc, and January will probably give us some indication of what could transpire at the end of the season.
Still lots to be positive about, but we also need to appreciate and understand just how hard it will be to become a sustainable League One club.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I tend to agree here. This is the balancing act the club have to try and navigate which I think is becoming very difficult.
The Crewe example is something that the club need to have in the back of their minds which I’m sure they do. In 2019-2020 They had an excellent young team which they got promoted from League Two with. Then they all adapted well to League One and finished 12th in their first season. That summer they literally lost all their best young players, many for next to nothing and look where they are now.

I’m by no means saying this could/would happen to us, but we shouldn’t be naive and should be looking at this example and guarding against it.
I’m hopeful we will stay up this season which I still don’t think is going to be as easy as some may think. That was the aim for this season and even with our decent start I think this should still be our priority.
This summer is where things will be difficult in terms of hanging into our best players etc, and January will probably give us some indication of what could transpire at the end of the season.
Still lots to be positive about, but we also need to appreciate and understand just how hard it will be to become a sustainable League One club.
I completely agree that the next 18 months could be very tough. Although, they weren't built around youth in the same way Cambridge ane Morecambe are both further examples of teams who have found their second season at this level very challenging.
However, I think there are a few things that will hopefully help us avoid the fate of Crewe. Firstly, we have been historically much better at negotiating decent transfer fees for our players. Secondly, Crewe were very reliant on one group of players that came through together whereas our academy has now been churning out decent players for 9 or 10 years. Finally, having invested a lot in infrastructure over the last few years there are no obvious projects that need money so hopefully we will able to funnel a bit more cash towards the playing budget.

C j phill

Surely the size of the home gates have surpassed what the club
have expectEd .
Plus two 10k paydays from FGR & Plymuff and 100k from Ipswich
none of that could have been budgeted for beforehand.
With Wednesday and Pompey to come in December, come on
there has to be money to strengthen.
Nearly forgot 500k from Pond’s transfer.
Plus compensation from Rotherham for Taylor and his coaching team.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
100k from Ipswich
Justin Quick told the AGM that rumoured figure is unfortunately not correct, it's around £35K for a home L1 game normally.

We also got £1.5M from business insurance (Covid) and will get a good boost from the higher-than-budget gates, IIRC we budgeted for an average of 5,500 and are running at 6,500, plus two 7,000s in the next two games, worth around £0.25M if it continues even before food and drink etc spend is added on. Though after Xmas I expect crowds to drop off a bit unless we start winning again regularly, as there are fewer high-profile games - including 3 midweek ones now Barnsley are in FAC R3.

Bat Fastard

i think we're going to have a hard time keeping hold of crucial players sadly - i know it's stating the obvious but we're massively punching above our financial weight currently. i'm hoping caldwell can make use of his connections higher up the leagues (something neither tisdale nor MT really had) to bring in some new faces, especially a dependable centre back

Cowshed Grecian

Two successive managers must be mad then as I'm only going on the facts that neither manager this season has seen MJ as a starter. We have limited money is it wise to tie it up on the bench?
What so you actually believe we are going to be signing better players than MJ with this budget? Let’s be honest half this team aren’t going to sign new contracts on what we are able to offer them are they. Getting MJ signed up quickly would be a good move at the moment, not contemplating shifting him on.