• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

Memphis09

Who said MJ isn’t getting a new contract? Releasing him on a free? Are you mad?
Why is that mad
Not playing and not good enough of league one

Memphis09

What so you actually believe we are going to be signing better players than MJ with this budget? Let’s be honest half this team aren’t going to sign new contracts on what we are able to offer them are they. Getting MJ signed up quickly would be a good move at the moment, not contemplating shifting him on.
What is the point in signing a player who is not good enough or will not play
That is waste of good money

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
What is the point in signing a player who is not good enough or will not play
That is waste of good money
Because you need a squad and he'll be useful when we drop back to league 2.

This summer will be like when we lost Taylor, Harley and Cureton in one go. Caldwell would have to go some to make a complete mess of it like Tisdale did

Bridgy 81

I hope we have a good January window in relation to what we need to do to strengthen the squad for the second half of the season.
But to be honest I’ll still be here supporting the team whatever they do, or don’t do.
Because unfortunately I can’t help myself.

Alistair20000

Because you need a squad and he'll be useful when we drop back to league 2.

This summer will be like when we lost Taylor, Harley and Cureton in one go. Caldwell would have to go some to make a complete mess of it like Tisdale did
Is relegation inevitable ? Realism or pessimism manc ?

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Realism if we keep shipping 4 goals a game and can't score 5 !
UTC

manc grecian

I think we're fine this year but fear a Crewe style decline next year. The youth players we have now had the luxury of maturing in league Two to get them to the standard they are now. It's a big ask finding 4 or 5 kids and then expecting them to be at mid table league one level.

With our financial model, unless we employ some exceptional scouting I don't see how we replace the likes of Collins and Brown within our wage structure. The fans have backed the club and turned up in numbers but the squad is still wafer thin.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think we're fine this year but fear a Crewe style decline next year. The youth players we have now had the luxury of maturing in league Two to get them to the standard they are now. It's a big ask finding 4 or 5 kids and then expecting them to be at mid table league one level.

With our financial model, unless we employ some exceptional scouting I don't see how we replace the likes of Collins and Brown within our wage structure. The fans have backed the club and turned up in numbers but the squad is still wafer thin.
Broadly agree with this, but am still hopeful that one or two surprise additions to our squad next year, will help settle us. I think GC will have a different recruitment approach than MT.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I can See Harper returning to Ipswich, plus the Smith money and also the additional MT compo, FA Cup and additional League 1 tv revenue, we should have some good breathing space for additions in January.

I think we need

A replacement for Smith, LB, CB (Maybe 2 if Stubbs doesn't return) and a CM to replace Harper. If any additional income maybe a back up GK for Blackman to allow Harry Lee to go out on loan and get some first team experience.

I would also use monies to try (Try being the operative word) Brown, Collins, Key etc. down to longer term deals.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I can See Harper returning to Ipswich, plus the Smith money and also the additional MT compo, FA Cup and additional League 1 tv revenue, we should have some good breathing space for additions in January.

I think we need

A replacement for Smith, LB, CB (Maybe 2 if Stubbs doesn't return) and a CM to replace Harper. If any additional income maybe a back up GK for Blackman to allow Harry Lee to go out on loan and get some first team experience.

I would also use monies to try (Try being the operative word) Brown, Collins, Key etc. down to longer term deals.
Just to add to this also, Just because i have put Smith replacement first, that would be the last part of the needed section i would try and fill as feel defenders are a much bigger priority for our team at the moment