• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Heard anything else about the young Bristol City player joining us ?
Nope

grecIAN Harris

I think Nombe will only be off if someone meets a release clause / offers an obscene amount of money for him / the deal has been so long in the offing that we have already arranged to immediately sign a replacement. He is simply too important to the way we play for us to entertain 'ordinary' offers that meet his valuation (I'd say £1 million) this late in the window unless we either have no choice in the matter (release clause) or are prepared for it (paperwork ready with regards a replacement).
I keep hearing about release clauses for certain players. Is there any factual evidence for this? As for obscene money, at this stage of proceedings there isn't an amount obscene enough to replace Nombe.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Heard anything else about the young Bristol City player joining us ?
No mate. Just heard we were keen on him but it’s gone a bit quiet.

One thing is for sure, Gary seems to be able to convince good players to join us, so I’m optimistic we’ll see a couple more decent players through the door tomorrow.

And as long as we don’t lose Jev or Nombe in particular, I’ll be pleased.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Can’t see it , Bristol City have set their sights on Harry Cornick from Luton and Luton have said they might have to sell
Isn't Jevani from around Luton?

That's a fit that has me worried.

Phil Sayers

I keep hearing about release clauses for certain players. Is there any factual evidence for this? As for obscene money, at this stage of proceedings there isn't an amount obscene enough to replace Nombe.
Clearly some players do have them due to the departures of Stockley, Storey and now Dieng all being cited as being because their release clauses were met. I have no idea whether Nombe is one of those but would not be at all surprised (it might even be the same £750,000 that Stockley and Storey had because that would still leave us making a 600k+ profit thus being frustrating rather than bad business). If a release clause isn't present I could see us turning down a million or a million and a half but if we get to the £2 million mark I imagine we would accept and just hope / pray we have enough points on the board already this season to stay out of the dogfight.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think Key and Nombe will be off. Just a hunch. Stubbs too if this Bradford link is actually true.
No mention on any of the Club Sites (Luton, Hibs, Millwall or Bradford but gut feeling I think Key will be off Nombe possibly if an offer comes in circa £1.5M.

Grecian Max

Based on what’s gone before, as has been said Nombe would highly likely have a release clause. It makes sense, these lads need to be enticed down and from their perspective having that clause means they know our commitment not to step in their way.

Things and the market have moved on from Stockley’s £750k trigger so I reckon over a million.

I’m ok with us losing Nombe as he was brought in to do 2 things. One, win us promotion. Which he has done. And 2, make a tidy profit from our ability to develop players. If we insist on this model then to be competitive in any way in the next 2/3 years we need another big hitter deal.

arthur

Based on what’s gone before, as has been said Nombe would highly likely have a release clause. It makes sense, these lads need to be enticed down and from their perspective having that clause means they know our commitment not to step in their way.

Things and the market have moved on from Stockley’s £750k trigger so I reckon over a million.

I’m ok with us losing Nombe as he was brought in to do 2 things. One, win us promotion. Which he has done. And 2, make a tidy profit from our ability to develop players. If we insist on this model then to be competitive in any way in the next 2/3 years we need another big hitter deal.
This is very true. Our financial sustainability is based on developing players and selling them for a a tidy profit. We won't make a tidy profit selling OK players, but only by selling the very good ones. Who are, of course, the ones we love the most....

Coppers

There could potentially be fairly large sell on clause with MK Don's considering they let him go fairly cheaply believed to be 100k ish when he had been loaned out to a championship club, was it Luton.

Memphis09

Stockley strike rate at City is 51/92 I believe. Nowhere near that anywhere else.
League two says it all