• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
The only surprising factor to me is that the club decided to keep Key, and not use him as a bank rolling option for future transfer windows. I know it may not be a popular opinion, my consideration being that we rely upon transfer fees to keep our finances afloat. Looks like a calculated high risk move.
Unless bids comfortably exceeded what we can reasonably expect to receive from a tribunal in the summer, it was a "no brainer" to keep him. Selling him off "on the cheap" would have sent out the wrong signals and undermined our bargaining in future negotiations on other players. It was a 100% right decision to play "hardball" and lay down a marker. When coming in for our Academy stars, Clubs need to appreciate that they are shopping at Waitrose not Lidl ! :)

Bat Fastard

Caldwell obviously rates key extremely highly (as do I), he plays him every week and has spoken on numerous occasions about how impressed he’s been by him. Not surprised I’m he hasn’t gone unlike a lot on here tbh

TotnesGrecian

I tell you what, I was very sceptical about Caldwell and wasnt a huge fan.

But my opinion has been massively swayed by not only his ability to bring people to this club (something past managers have always maintained was an issue due to location) but the backing he has received from the club (which is clearly testament to the confidence the club has in him and his team that that he has also brought in)

Now it begs the question, James Scott said yesterday that this club deserves a shot at the championship, has he said this off the cuff? Or does it relate to something he's been sold from the recruitment side of things? Are we bringing players in based on a project the club has in mind? I.e the championship or even just a shot at it?

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wonder what Matt Taylor is thinking about our transfer window?
I think he would have backed himself to bring in a similar calibre of players if he had the same budget available. I presume that, amongst other things, at least some of the budget that was being kept aside in case Archie, Jevani and Josh extended their contracts has now been given to Gary to spend. I'm also guessing that any money that was being reserved in case of problems with the training ground redevelopment has also now been re-allocated.

Trapdoor

We are officially "going for it".

Gary Caldwells red'n'white army!

tom_ecfc

We are officially "going for it".

Gary Caldwells red'n'white army!
We’ve got super Gary Caldwell, he knows exactly what we need, Aimson at the back, Nombe in attack, City‘s going to…. (aim for the playoffs)

larrywilkie

As the man himself said a couple of weeks ago, we can judge the transfer window on the 1st Feb (or something like that!!). Wise words indeed

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
Youv'e Jinxed it Mr Jinx !
Mmm...I see it got corrected this morning.

Radio Free Skaro

Am I correct in thinking that if Blackman‘s injury is ongoing that we can sign an emergency loan keeper outside of the window and renew it each 7 days as necessary? Rules seem to suggest this is possible but we aren’t allowed a keeper from a premier league club.

Appreciate it wont now be Jokull, but we can hopefully find someone suitable. Hopefully we can have Blackman back quickly but I haven’t heard recent updates regarding his fitness since we were told he needed a scan at the weekend?
Is Michael Barrett still available?

Boyo

Well that was our busiest January window for a long, long time.

MJ, Dieng and Stubbs out.
White (loan), Mitchell, Aimson, McDonald (short-term) and Scott in.

That looks a very productive window to me. Exciting times.