• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Grecian Archive A to Z (others)

Grecian 1901

We are compiling data on the thousands of players to have pulled on the Jersey behind the scenes or did not make the 1st team, played as a trialist or in a benefit game

This is a huge task and we will need help.

This is an ever changing resource thanks to the help of all those who have an interest in Exeter City including ex-players, their families, fans, supporters and all our friends across the globe. Currently we have over 1600 players and there will be errors and omissions.
Please let us know if you can help, this is going hand in hand with an attempt to record every reserve and youth team result, just dates and scorers presently.

Grecian 1901

Just for starters
Here are some players who put on the shirt and played,

Tommy Lawton

Paul Wotton, yes him!

Tom Jones not the singer
(Although Howard Madley who was a reserve centre half with City went to school with Tom).

Grant Holt.

John Polston.

tom_ecfc

I have just completed a project on the Grecian Archive of documenting all ecfc 1st team players Country of Birth.

(If anyone has any info on which country any players from the ‘unknown’ section were born we’d love to update their profile).

Note: Some players were born in one country but represent(ed) another at International level.

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
Here's a question for all you ECFC experts and it relates to my dad.

In the EACQ, I think it was haka who told me that my dad had scored against argyle in our 3-0 victory in the Devon Bowl final in 1974 which was news to me as I thought he had never played against argyle, let alone scored against them. See the Devon Bowl records here:

The Grecian Archive - The Devon BowlThe Devon Championship/Cup (exeter.ac.uk)

I checked with my dad and, although his memory isn't the best at times, he is adamant that this game was against Torquay, not argyle. He says his goal was a header from a Campbell Crawford cross.

Can anyone shed any light on this??

haka

I don't know anything other than what's in the Archive, but this backs up Mr Parker's memory:

Look for the small section on coming attractions ... it says Torquay.

The Grecian Archive - Swansea City - 27th April 1974 (exeter.ac.uk)

iscalad

Grecian Archive has the programme for the match. Definitely Torquay. Nothing wrong with your Dad's memory.

fred binneys head

So the Grecian Archive is wrong then? It says argyle.

iscalad

So the Grecian Archive is wrong then? It says argyle.
In a way. It says we played both Argyle and Torquay on the same day. I searched "Devon Bowl 1974" in the front page of the archive and it showed the programme for Torquay.

fred binneys head

In a way. It says we played both Argyle and Torquay on the same day. I searched "Devon Bowl 1974" in the front page of the archive and it showed the programme for Torquay.
I can’t see that in the link I posted above, the list of fixtures just shows argyle and my dad scoring?

iscalad

I can’t see that in the link I posted above, the list of fixtures just shows argyle and my dad scoring?
I'll post it later when I'm on my computer.
Very late getting up today......