• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Grecians on TV

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
League Cup 1st Round Aug 1980 v Bristol Rovers, commentary from Chris Fear.

Rosencrantz

For the Rovers goal was that John Delve on the line expressing his thoughts or ol' Pate 😉

Oldsmobile-88

FA Cup 1st Round Nov 1998.

Oldsmobile-88

For the Rovers goal was that John Delve on the line expressing his thoughts or ol' Pate 😉
Delvie looked like he was not best pleased 😁

Oldsmobile-88

The Bristol Rovers League Cup game was a 7.30pm KO on a Saturday, (possibly unique for a Saturday at SJP ?)

It was not unusual to have League Cup fixtures starting before the Football League official start date in that era...Torquay regularly had 7.30pm Saturday KOs, Perhaps the Grecians wanted to gauge opinion, I remember going to the game which was a novelty for a Saturday evening, It certainly would not be allowed for a high profile regional game these days, Unless Sky wanted to broadcast it of course.

haka

I was in the Cowshed for that 1980 game. Rovers fans chanted "What's it like to have no end?". Kind of ironic that they soon had no Tote End, and no ground. Some minor trouble at the game too.

Mention in the commentary of Terry Cooper playing for them, which I'd completely forgotten.

haka

Checking the results, City lost on penalties after the 2nd leg at Eastville. Was that our first ever penalty shootout? A rarity back then.

Oldsmobile-88

Checking the results, City lost on penalties after the 2nd leg at Eastville. Was that our first ever penalty shootout? A rarity back then.
I believe it was.

A couple of days after the game at Eastville the South Stand was destroyed by a overnight fire.

iscalad

Lovely to see those players again

Oldsmobile-88

Lovely to see those players again
Yes, some great players..Gary Mabbutt was in the Bristol Rovers team that evening. Rovers were in the 2nd Division at the time.

Seeing Steve Neville in the highlights reminded me that he was transferred to Sheffield United in October, for a good fee iirc, of course long before the nonsense of transfer windows.
Some of the Neville transfer fee was invested straight away signing Ray Pratt from Merthyr Tydfil.A very good bit of business.