• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Happy Hammers

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Really pleased for David Moyes.

angelic upstart

Love the conference and Europa league, me.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Whilst I don't want to take anything away from West Ham, I'm not a fan of the Conference League.

Seems a bit daft that teams that finish 7th/8th (?) in a division can play in Europe? Feels like just another way for UEFA to make a bit more money.

West Ham won the cup and fair play, you can only beat what's put in front of you but I hadn't heard of pretty much every side they played until they reached an average AZ Alkmaar side. Even Fiorentina last night were very average, kept the ball nicely but very toothless.

angelic upstart

Whilst I don't want to take anything away from West Ham, I'm not a fan of the Conference League.

Seems a bit daft that teams that finish 7th/8th (?) in a division can play in Europe? Feels like just another way for UEFA to make a bit more money.

West Ham won the cup and fair play, you can only beat what's put in front of you but I hadn't heard of pretty much every side they played until they reached an average AZ Alkmaar side. Even Fiorentina last night were very average, kept the ball nicely but very toothless.
It's essentially bringing back the Cup Winners Cup. I love that there's unfashionable teams in it (and the Europa league) and you see players you'd not have heard of otherwise. Milos Kerkez (as an example) is a quality left back for AZ who I'd not have seen without the Conference league, but had heard good thinsg about.

I'm no fan of the champions league having teams that aren't champions in it. But it's happened and it isn't changing, what it does do is slightly help clubs in smaller leagues by providing a little more money to them, which ultimately improves their teams, leagues and infrastructure. It also gives teams in all leagues something to play for if they're not involved in relegation or championship issues. Like the play-offs do in many ways.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
It's a fine competition. Tinpot for the likes of Manchester, Liverpool and Chelsea. But for the smaller clubs in the Premier League who never get a chance at a domestic trophy then this is something good to aim for. Looking forward to seeing Aston Villa. Spurs must be envious :D

angelic upstart

Spurs must be envious :D
Those delusional fools, don't want to be in it as it's beneath them. This is despite them winning nothing of note for more than 30 years other than a league cup. Me thinks, they thinks, they're bigger than they are.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Not as much as I do! 🤣

angelic upstart

Not as much as I do! 🤣
You an Iron?

Alistair20000

Meh