• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Hartlepool United v Exeter City Matchday Thread

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Nope we signed Cureton and he was neither crocked or lost his way but he was getting on hence dropping to L2. Otherwise, we take a punt a someone whos not yet proven, they dont have to have lost their way or be crocked.

Proven goal scorers that are of a good age signing for L2 clubs are as rare as rocking horse $hit.
We were L1 when we signed Curo on trial and there was a bit of moaning of him being past it as he had barely scored for two seasons at L1 level including loans. The second time we knew what we were getting although there was still moaning because of his lean season at Orient and the never sign an ex player mob.

I was just trying to demonstrate that all the strikers we have signed that have weighed in have had all kinds of previous and doubts when signed but rarely proven - we have never really had the cash. Stockley has been the closest we have had to a signing that was more than likely to bang them in.

Last edited:

benjisheps

Just saw the goal, and have to say: How on earth can anybody blame other defensive shortcomings when Maxted once again let in a decidely soft goal? If he'd have moved about a bit and perhaps jumped for that shot he would surely have got something on that? He planted himself on the near post and gave their scorer a golden opportunity to lift that shot over him. Very poor from Maxted. Theres no excuse for that, even if you've been let down by other defenders. Awful.
I don't aways agree with you Pete when it comes to GK mistakes but I would suggest that you may be right here. Judging by Moxey and Antangana's reactions when it went in they seemed to right away point the finger at Maxted as well. I would also go as far as to say that watching the excellent 360 version video from Saturday; Northampton's 2nd goal should also have been saved.

While Maxted is certainly better than Hamon, he is definitely not up to Lewis Ward's level and the sooner he is fit the better. To be fair though with our budget we are never going to have 2 top GK's on the books, and if we still had Hamon with us I would suggest that we would be complaining far more!!

We are still 2nd in the league and have Ward to come back and hopefully (fingers crossed) a forward in Ajose who could make the difference. With all the negativity regarding our goalscoring problems there are only actually 4 teams in League Two that have scored more than us. This shows how close we are and I think we will get stronger in the 2nd part of the season unlike last year when we were always going to struggle with the loss of Stockley.

andrew p long

Nope we signed Cureton and he was neither crocked or lost his way but he was getting on hence dropping to L2. Otherwise, we take a punt a someone whos not yet proven, they dont have to have lost their way or be crocked.

Proven goal scorers that are of a good age signing for L2 clubs are as rare as rocking horse $hit.
Jamie Cureton had lost his goal scoring knack before we signed him in 2010. He had just spent four months at Shrewsbury, where in ten league starts and two sub appearances he had scored ....precisely nil goals.

In the three seasons before signing for City Cureton had scored scored 18 league goals in total, at the rate of six per season.

No wonder some here on Exeweb opposed the signing, saying that,at 32 and with three poor seasons behind him, he was past it. Fortunately ECFC made a better call.

Colesman Ballz

I don't aways agree with you Pete when it comes to GK mistakes but I would suggest that you may be right here. Judging by Moxey and Antangana's reactions when it went in they seemed to right away point the finger at Maxted as well.
Personally I would be looking at Parkes, stood off their player, made no effort to close him down or even block the shot.

Positive spin

As we all know City missed their chance of a cup run when coasting 2-0 up at home. Hartlepool didn,t look a bad outfit and not a lot different from some League 2 teams we have faced. Good luck to them against Oxford. They deserve it.
Despite all the criticism on exeweb and a few uninspiring performances this season we cannot escape the fact that City are second in the table although some teams have a game in hand. Probably indicative of the standard of teams in this league.
We have the basis of a good team but as others have posted it’s the lack of a striker with a clinical finish that we are missing. A lot rests on Ajose when he returns to action. Prior to surgery he seemed to struggle to get involved in a game. I hope this was down to him carrying the injury but somehow doubt it. Let’s pray he finds his mojo.

Grecian2K

Just saw the goal, and have to say: How on earth can anybody blame other defensive shortcomings when Maxted once again let in a decidely soft goal? If he'd have moved about a bit and perhaps jumped for that shot he would surely have got something on that? He planted himself on the near post and gave their scorer a golden opportunity to lift that shot over him. Very poor from Maxted. Theres no excuse for that, even if you've been let down by other defenders. Awful.
How so??
If he'd "jumped at bit" and clattered into their own player? Straight red, penalty and almost certainly the result would have been the same.

If he'd "moved a bit" to the far post then beaten by a tap-in at the near post then I'll guarantee that you'd have ensured that EW would have been so incandescent with your rage that it could have been seen from a distant galaxy.

Sometimes a "glovesman" - even poor old old Max, despite some of his other well reported previous errors - is sometime outfoxed and beaten by a superior bit of skill and opptunism. Even if it is abetted by some inferior defending?

benjisheps

Personally I would be looking at Parkes, stood off their player, made no effort to close him down or even block the shot.
That's a fair point as well.

Oldsmobile-88

Just watched the highlights..I thought the goal was a cross/shot from where I was..It looks frigging awful from that TV clip.
Maxted had done a excellent save at the end of normal time,oddly credited as a Collins block.
Sums up Maxteds inconsistency.

PeteUSA

Once again an outfield player is deemed to be at fault before taking into consideration the fact that was as bad a goal as I've seen Maxted let in. That shot (or cross, who knows?) wasnt hit particularly hard yet it outsmarted JM. He was static at the near post and showed no intention of retreating somewhat when it looked like the ball was going over his head; there was no trickery in that shot. And I swear that had Maxted jumped a little bit he'd have got a hand to it, instead of watching the ball sail over his head FFS! You can say what you like about other defenders not doing their bit, but that doesnt exonerate Maxted who should have done a whole lot better.

Stelios

Was it a cross that deflected off Parkes' boot/ankle? Or did the player just spoon it? Very odd goal. Such a weird angle and ball flight. Doesn't look right

Full credit to the fans who travelled up there (y)

*we're not worthy* gesture