• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Home Attendances and Atmosphere

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
I
Truly abysmal attendances all round there.
Indeed. I remember it well.

Often, in the Cowshed (or the old, open Big Bank) the loudest noise was when you were talking to the bloke next to you...20 yards away.

Grecian2K

I wouldn't agree that away numbers have been shocking. Around 400 from Peterborough and Port Vale was decent as was over 750 from Oxford (at the time not in great form). With the exception Of the Gas would we really expect many from Fleetwood, Burton, MK Dons, or Wycombe? Cheltenham was a poor turnout but we had just spanked them! The numbers have still been higher than similar clubs in league two
Average efforts made by our magnificent travelling Grecians thus far: 720
Average attendance by our visiting guests: 456 (although that is a considerable improvement on last year's 316)

Rosencrantz

I
Indeed. I remember it well.

Often, in the Cowshed (or the old, open Big Bank) the loudest noise was when you were talking to the bloke next to you...20 yards away.
Ah, the old Jasper Carrott joke about supporting his beloved Brummie Blues back in the eighties. Along the lines of, It's getting really desperate up at St Andrew's at the moment. The last game, I turned to the bloke standing next to me and said "OI!" 😁

SaintJames

Average efforts made by our magnificent travelling Grecians thus far: 720
Average attendance by our visiting guests: 456 (although that is a considerable improvement on last year's 316)
That away number as we know will increase significantly after the next three games and doesn't include those to come like Derby and that lot down the A38

CC

85/86 season - Seven consecutive games where we don't score isn't going to inspire the crowds.

Chui

1985-86 was the nadir of English football all round. The end of the 84-85 season saw Luton v Millwall in the FA Cup held up for 25 minutes due to hooliganism (with TV coverage), a teenager killed at Birmingham v Leeds, the Bradford fire (both the same day) and then the Heysel stadium disaster. This had been building for years, but the high profile events at the end of that season impacted the next one. With a perception that you could be attacked on the way to or from the game for supporting the wrong team and many stadiums either in a state of disrepair (Wolves had 3 stands closed in 1986) or potentially being a fire hazard, it's not surprising attendances nosedived.

To put this in perspective, only Man United, Liverpool and Everton averaged over 30,000. The next highest average attendance in the entire league was Man City with a whopping 24,229. Only 5 clubs in the second tier averaged over 10,000.

We didn't quite average 2000, but still beat 8 clubs - Aldershot, Crewe, Halifax, Rochdale, Scunthorpe, Torquay, Tranmere and Wrexham. Could have been worse.

Back OT, agree we are very lucky to have the Big Bank. There are few grounds which really seem intimidating for away teams these days - of the 50 odd I've been to as a City fan, only Millwall, Portsmouth and Bradford (and that was the second half only) really stand out.

Away numbers have been about what I'd expect from our visitors. Excepting Wycombe, ex-non league clubs always seem to have poor away attendances no matter how long they've been in the league.

denzel

Ignore

SaintJames

Oxford brought 766 not 600. I used to live in Peterborough and the drive from there to Exeter is not an easy one personally I thought 400+ was decent was as you say tiz all a matter of opinion

Colesman Ballz

To get back to positivity, with Ipswich, Wednesday and Portsmouth all likely to sell out their allocations for the away end, that opens the intriguing possibility of three successive home league matches being "sell outs". That would surely be the first time ever in the Club's entire history ! 😮

denzel

Oxford brought 766 not 600. I used to live in Peterborough and the drive from there to Exeter is not an easy one personally I thought 400+ was decent was as you say tiz all a matter of opinion
I'm pretty confident we will take more to Oxford and Peterborough, which is the same drive in reverse