• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Horse Racing Thread

Legohead

Banned
With the resumption of racing and the exploits at an albeit empty Royal Ascot today I thought i'd start a horse racing thread. I've had a look back in the archives a bit and can't find one to revive so here we are.

Comprehensive performance by Battaash to win the King's Stand. Ryan Moore again is noted as a jockey to avoid. Quite how he gets so many top rides is beyond me. Possibly one of the worst and most unreliable jockeys out there. Best jockey IMO by a mile at the moment is James Doyle. Reliable and doesn't give up when headed like Mr Moore does.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Might be just you and me participating Lego.

Egg likes racing but does not post much these days.

Will be watching the races later as I recorded them.

Legohead

Banned
Might be just you and me participating Lego.

Egg likes racing but does not post much these days.

Will be watching the races later as I recorded them.
Oops. Sorry for spoiling it for you with that Ali.

Alistair20000

Oops. Sorry for spoiling it for you with that Ali.
No worries Lego. I am not a great lover of sprints and have never warmed to Battaash. Not sure why.

Love to see a class middle distance horse with a turn of foot.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Love to see a class middle distance horse with a turn of foot.
Especially when Lester Piggott was perched motionless on him, tucked in around third or fourth and cruising, waiting to make his move.

Alistair20000

Especially when Lester Piggott was perched motionless on him, tucked in around third or fourth and cruising, waiting to make his move.
He could also be a very hard (but effective) jockey. The Derby win on Roberto in 1972 could be described as a brutal ride and the 1977 Derby win on The Minstrel was severe too. Would not get away with that sort of riding today.

Legohead

Banned
Before my time i'm afraid chaps was Mr Piggott. The closest to him I can remember was the great Pat Eddery.

Legohead

Banned
I like the look of Maydanny in the opener at Royal Ascot. He won impressively recently at Yarmouth and if he can make the step up then he'd go close. Former Champion Jockey Jim Crowley on board which is not that much of a positive IMO but he won well on Battaash yesterday and can get the day off to a winning start on Maydanny at around 9/2 / 4's.

The 3 o'clock Prince of Wales stakes sees Ryan Moore pilot heavy favourite and Aiden O'Brien hotpot Japan however i'd rather take a chance on the ruthless James Doyle aboard the Gosden horse Lord North. Lord North has won 3 of his last 6 including last time out at Haydock when winning a Group 3. He is also about a 9/2 shot.

Away from Ascot there is a horse in the opener at Beverley called Navajo Spring who will be about 11/10 fav. He's got the draw in stall 2 which is all important at Beverley, he's had the one run, an excellent 2nd and should improve. There are some newcomers in the field with the usual gamut of local Yaarkshire based trainers represented but Navajo Spring has the form in the book and unless there is an above average debutante then i really think this horse is a good bet. Conor Beasley is jockey which isn't ideal but the previous run the horse had plus the draw probably negate this.

Can't wait to get back to attending racing again. The good thing about average mid week meetings is that are usually quiet anyway and it's easy to social distance.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Derby win on Roberto in 1972
There was some controversy before the race, with jockey Bill Williamson being "jocked off" by the horse's American owner. I remember Hugh McIlvanney writing afterwards:
"Old Bill is a great jockey, but he couldn't have done that job. Nobody but Lester could."

Legohead

Banned
Navajo Spring readily beaten in the Beverley opener. It was another horse with previous race experience that won at 12/1 and not a newcomer. Just waiting to watch to see how Maydanny gets on now at Ascot. Race time in about 5 minutes. I've had 20 quid on it at 9/2 as my best bet of the day so here goes. :cool: