• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Hospitality 2022/23

Bridgy 81

I understand the concept of crowd numbers increasing when a sports team is doing well because I suppose some people only like watching a winning team and some people just like to be associated in some way with a winning team.
But what I don’t get is if all the 10-12,000 people who in recent times have regularly attended actually like rugby, where were they previously?
I know this can apply to football crowds as well, but I can’t get my head around the concept of not supporting a team, then making them a big thing in your life, then dropping them again when they start doing less well.
I appreciate changed personal finances or circumstances can make a difference for some people but with football in general and City in particular I can’t imagine how anyone could treat their team in such a disposable fashion.
It maybe painful at times always sticking in there but that’s what makes the periodic successes so much sweeter.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
I understand the concept of crowd numbers increasing when a sports team is doing well because I suppose some people only like watching a winning team and some people just like to be associated in some way with a winning team.
But what I don’t get is if all the 10-12,000 people who in recent times have regularly attended actually like rugby, where were they previously?
I know this can apply to football crowds as well, but I can’t get my head around the concept of not supporting a team, then making them a big thing in your life, then dropping them again when they start doing less well.
I appreciate changed personal finances or circumstances can make a difference for some people but with football in general and City in particular I can’t imagine how anyone could treat their team in such a disposable fashion.
It maybe painful at times always sticking in there but that’s what makes the periodic successes so much sweeter.
There speaks a true Grecian - UTC

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Be interesting to know how many fans have ditched Torquay in favour of watching City. For that matter how many ex Grecians have moved over to Slime with their relative success?

Oldsmobile-88

Be interesting to know how many fans have ditched Torquay in favour of watching City. For that matter how many ex Grecians have moved over to Slime with their relative success?
I don’t believe fans do that. They might not attend if things go down the pan but watching another club on a regular basis that they have no affinity for ?

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
In fairness, I know a couple of TUFC fans who now come regularly to City. That is mostly as they can't be arsed to go to Torquay, as they live in Exeter.

Rosencrantz

I don’t believe fans do that. They might not attend if things go down the pan but watching another club on a regular basis that they have no affinity for ?
Actual fans don't tend to do that, I agree. But you will always have a few fair weather, general football fans who will float about or those that support someone else but are exiled. I go and watch Tiverton a lot but will also occasionally go to see Taunton if they have an interesting game and I can't get to the City game or we are not playing. And the Tiverton/Taunton rivalry is a pretty intense one.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Actual fans don't tend to do that, I agree. But you will always have a few fair weather, general football fans who will float about or those that support someone else but are exiled. I go and watch Tiverton a lot but will also occasionally go to see Taunton if they have an interesting game and I can't get to the City game or we are not playing. And the Tiverton/Taunton rivalry is a pretty intense one.
I'm the same. I like football but love City. Not everyone loves the Club they watch regularly.

Oldsmobile-88

Yep...I used to go to Weymouth midweekers a few years back in their Conference days with a friend from Lyme Regis who I picked up on the way, if a game at The Wessex Stadium did not clash with the Grecians.
It was nice to actually watch a game & not worry about the result, also amusing to hear moaning that was worse than at SJP when things went wrong 😁

Rosencrantz

Yep...I used to go to Weymouth midweekers a few years back in their Conference days with a friend from Lyme Regis who I picked up on the way, if a game at The Wessex Stadium did not clash with the Grecians.
It was nice to actually watch a game & not worry about the result, also amusing to hear moaning that was worse than at SJP when things went wrong 😁
It is nice to go to a game a relax once in a while 🙂

Colesman Ballz

Ha ! Can be very amusing as a neutral, whilst at college in Brighton I would occasionally pop along to the Goldstone Ground for my footy fix. I can vividly remember one game with ten goals. Alas BHA scored just the first and last, with Bristol Rovers getting the other eight ! At half time it was 1-5, but to give the home fans their due, they treated the second half in carnival spirit cheering absolutely everything ! :p