• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Is Project 6000 and sustainability in L1 compatible with selling our "Gems"?

Radio Free Skaro

Even during our (arguably) most glorious years at this level between 77-84 the overall league average was only 4,124.
UTC
I risk of being pedant I would say 77-82 as we really struggled in the league old div 3 in 1981-2 we finished 18th , 1982-3 we finished 19th & 1983-84 we finished 24th - anyone who remembers the Gerry Francis era will recall it as being one of the most dire in the Club's history.

1983/4 the attendances reflected this , just 1782 at SJP against Southend & attendances of just above 2000 for Orient, Scunthorpe & Preston.

Leads

I risk of being pedant I would say 77-82 as we really struggled in the league old div 3 in 1981-2 we finished 18th , 1982-3 we finished 19th & 1983-84 we finished 24th - anyone who remembers the Gerry Francis era will recall it as being one of the most dire in the Club's history.

1983/4 the attendances reflected this , just 1782 at SJP against Southend & attendances of just above 2000 for Orient, Scunthorpe & Preston.
That is low, maybe being a 'Southender' back then would have been a badge of honour

tonykellowfan

The season's crowds are excellent and they reflect a wide range of factors.

I think the new pitch is a big plus, it has held up well in 2 winters now.

I also think there is a massive feel good factor in the club which means that people enjoy the day out at SJP regardless of the result.

Radio Free Skaro

That is low, maybe being a 'Southender' back then would have been a badge of honour
Just out of curiousity what's a Southender?

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just out of curiousity what's a Southender?
Guessing that it's a reference to the 1782 hardy souls who attended the Southend match that 1983-4 season, the lowest crowd of the year. They were rewarded with a 3-3 draw however which was marginally better fare than most matches ! :(

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Guessing that it's a reference to the 1782 hardy souls who attended the Southend match that season, the lowest crowd of the year. They were rewarded with a 3-3 draw however which was marginally better than most matches ! :(
It refers to those who turned up on the last day of our relegation season. Even though we beat Southend we still got relegated to the Conference. The ground was full with many worried that was going to be our last ever match. Where had they all been during the rest of the season?

Colesman Ballz

It refers to those who turned up on the last day of our relegation season. Even though we beat Southend we still got relegated to the Conference. The ground was full with many worried that was going to be our last ever match. Where had they all been during the rest of the season?
That was my first assumption too, but the comment was made relating to the Gerry Francis era. Being part of 11000 odd in 2003 was hardly a "badge of honour" compared to 1782 in March 1984.

older-codger

Definitely the relegation season. There certainly wasn't anything glorious about the Gerry Francis era that led me to spend some years doing other things than watch ECFC. I vividly remember my last match of that season, standing on the big bank and wondering what they did all the week in training and losing to Bristol Rovers. Then at the end of the game the Rovers fans invaded the cowshed and I stood there thinking "what am I doing here when there's so much else I could be doing that was more useful"

Colesman Ballz

Definitely the relegation season. There certainly wasn't anything glorious about the Gerry Francis era that led me to spend some years doing other things than watch ECFC. I vividly remember my last match of that season, standing on the big bank and wondering what they did all the week in training and losing to Bristol Rovers. Then at the end of the game the Rovers fans invaded the cowshed and I stood there thinking "what am I doing here when there's so much else I could be doing that was more useful"
Both were relegation seasons, with 83/84 having our worst results and points total. I guess we will need Leads to authoritively confirm which he was referring to, but he was replying to a post specifically about the Gerry Francis horror season, which mentioned that the lowest home crowd was just 1782 against SOUTHEND. I rest my case, it brings up too many bad memories to debate it further ! :(

tom_ecfc

I think the new pitch is a big plus, it has held up well in 2 winters now.
Watching the football league highlights and seeing most of the L2 pitches like a plough field just shows how far we have come, we did once have a plough field.