• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Is Project 6000 and sustainability in L1 compatible with selling our "Gems"?

Red Bill

I risk of being pedant I would say 77-82 as we really struggled in the league old div 3 in 1981-2 we finished 18th , 1982-3 we finished 19th & 1983-84 we finished 24th - anyone who remembers the Gerry Francis era will recall it as being one of the most dire in the Club's history.

1983/4 the attendances reflected this , just 1782 at SJP against Southend & attendances of just above 2000 for Orient, Scunthorpe & Preston.
We also finished 8th, 9th and 11th during that spell.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
It refers to those who turned up on the last day of our relegation season. Even though we beat Southend we still got relegated to the Conference. The ground was full with many worried that was going to be our last ever match. Where had they all been during the rest of the season?
It wasn't just that the ground was full, there were many outside who couldn't get in, lining the streets, in trees and on the rooftops. Suddenly it appeared that people cared.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
We also finished 8th, 9th and 11th during that spell.
Not to mention a sensational FA Cup run to spark wider interest.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
The 4 main reason's I See our attendances as having increased in particular in the last 5 years (In No particular order)

1/ Simple, but promotion to league one, with an exciting group of largely home grown academy footballers, with exciting football and a manager whom was a legend of a player and club captain for us along with a really positive start to league one (Lots of goals, attacking football etc.), Along with this season playing some huge sides (By league one standards) at SJP
2/ The Supporters trust - Unique and a reason for people whom are maybe not impressed with the rest of football to support us and come out and watch. I myself have been along with 10 newbies last season and this. OF which 8 have gone from never attending to attending around once a month if not more. I do accept 4 of them are 7-8 years olds, but its still additional people and even from my main group i go with on evening matches, we have a 2 extra from prior to lockdown.
3/ Progression off the pitch, New stand's, Big screen, Training ground improvements, Match day experience improvements etc.
4/ Covid-19 lockout of football. I think a lot of people came back because they simply could after a year out. Combine that with a successful promotion season then people will be more attracted

The biggest challenge now is retaining a consistent 6,000+ when things start to drop off on the pitch, if they already haven't started to drop off on the pitch (Hopefully March will be a kind month to City, As this will help with retaining keenness into next season) and also how we replaced the best half of our squad for next season, when they leave, which is a joy of being a City fan.

Initially GC has to show he can use the squad properly, attain better results over the next month (Anything below 7 points in the next six is not good enough with our squad), with a good brand of football, then we need to see how well we can do this summer transfer window with recruitment. In simple terms, with the attendances, finances, infrastructure and further Transfer fees in this summer (Key, Collins along with potentially Nombe, Hartridge and then Ampadu sell on, Harper, Stanno, Blackman etc. probably leaving also) We will have a good amount of budget room and enhancement to recruit, no other manager in ECFC history will have a better opportunity to get the required players in to have a positive season next season. A good start to the window would be to get McDonald and Blackman to sign up for next season.

Radio Free Skaro

Not to mention a sensational FA Cup run to spark wider interest.
That's why I am arguing the period 1977-84 should be split into 77-81 period of sucess and 82-84 period of disaster.

tonykellowfan

I doubt very much that McDonald will here next season.

Even if he can't get a deal in the Championship there will still be some very big L1 sides that will be able to blow us out of the water on wages.

At least two of Shef Wed, Ipswich, Plymouth, Bolton and Derby will be in L1 next season.

cambmike

The 4 main reason's I See our attendances as having increased in particular in the last 5 years (In No particular order)

1/ Simple, but promotion to league one, with an exciting group of largely home grown academy footballers, with exciting football and a manager whom was a legend of a player and club captain for us along with a really positive start to league one (Lots of goals, attacking football etc.), Along with this season playing some huge sides (By league one standards) at SJP
2/ The Supporters trust - Unique and a reason for people whom are maybe not impressed with the rest of football to support us and come out and watch. I myself have been along with 10 newbies last season and this. OF which 8 have gone from never attending to attending around once a month if not more. I do accept 4 of them are 7-8 years olds, but its still additional people and even from my main group i go with on evening matches, we have a 2 extra from prior to lockdown.
3/ Progression off the pitch, New stand's, Big screen, Training ground improvements, Match day experience improvements etc.
4/ Covid-19 lockout of football. I think a lot of people came back because they simply could after a year out. Combine that with a successful promotion season then people will be more attracted

The biggest challenge now is retaining a consistent 6,000+ when things start to drop off on the pitch, if they already haven't started to drop off on the pitch (Hopefully March will be a kind month to City, As this will help with retaining keenness into next season) and also how we replaced the best half of our squad for next season, when they leave, which is a joy of being a City fan.

Initially GC has to show he can use the squad properly, attain better results over the next month (Anything below 7 points in the next six is not good enough with our squad), with a good brand of football, then we need to see how well we can do this summer transfer window with recruitment. In simple terms, with the attendances, finances, infrastructure and further Transfer fees in this summer (Key, Collins along with potentially Nombe, Hartridge and then Ampadu sell on, Harper, Stanno, Blackman etc. probably leaving also) We will have a good amount of budget room and enhancement to recruit, no other manager in ECFC history will have a better opportunity to get the required players in to have a positive season next season. A good start to the window would be to get McDonald and Blackman to sign up for next season.
Good analysis. I think an important element is the Academy with local players that we can relate to and have seen develop and progress.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good analysis. I think an important element is the Academy with local players that we can relate to and have seen develop and progress.
Strange, because I see the fact we play 3 or 4 academy players every game as having the least influence on our good attendances.

Radio Free Skaro

Just interested in whether there has been an increase in attendances overall in the football league in the same period?

Boyo

I doubt very much that McDonald will here next season.

Even if he can't get a deal in the Championship there will still be some very big L1 sides that will be able to blow us out of the water on wages.

At least two of Shef Wed, Ipswich, Plymouth, Bolton and Derby will be in L1 next season.
Don't get me wrong, I think McDonald has been brilliant for us so far. However, I'd be surprised if any Championship club were to offer him anything, given that he's 35 this year. You can already see his reactions are not as quick as the younger lads. I think a combined role of playing and coaching will suit him next year. Whether that's with us, who knows? If the suggestion that his family are in Scotland is true, then there's an obvious issue, unless he can get a longer term deal.