• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Is Ryan Bowman unfairly treated?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
You have to change the terms of the debate. Matt T is suggesting that RB is being targeted and penalised for actions which opposition players get away with.

I tend to agree, but it's just possible I may not be impartial...

Ryan Bowman: Exeter City striker is 'a marked man', says boss Matt Taylor - BBC Sport

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
You have to change the terms of the debate. Matt T is suggesting that RB is being targeted and penalised for actions which opposition players get away with.

I tend to agree, but it's just possible I may not be impartial...

Ryan Bowman: Exeter City striker is 'a marked man', says boss Matt Taylor - BBC Sport
He didn't get much out of the ref Saturday until the very clear foul and yellow card late on in the game.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not understanding why he would be treated differently from any other player?

Legohead

Banned
Just crap refs. They all are at this level.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I remember taking notice of the varying tactics opposing teams were employing against Ryan, in a couple of games last season. In one case they tried whenever possible to have two players contesting every high ball. One (usually the closest to the ref) genuinely would attempt to head the ball, whilst the other (on the blindside) was preoccupied with getting a sereptitious hand on Ryan's shoulder to prevent him jumping.

In the other match, Ryan was being man marked, with that player playing a spoiling role, jumping with Ryan, but being more concerned with clattering into him, than actually getting the ball. His team mates the looking to seize on any loose balls etc that resulted.

I think that KMT is right to make a fuss about this, thereby indirectly bringing it the notice of the officials. Ryan role as a target man is seen as a major threat by opposing managers and they will seek to negate this by any means, fair or foul, to counter this. Stockley used to get the same treatment, and it a testament to our effective use of big, and awkward to combat, centre forwards.

Smithyno6

I’d say he is targeted by opposition because he has that traditional target man stature, teams will play on that when he competes in the air. Watch teams we play against try singling him out with the ref. Personally I love seeing a striker throw his weight about against defenders at this level that can’t take it.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I’d say he is targeted by opposition because he has that traditional target man stature, teams will play on that when he competes in the air. Watch teams we play against try singling him out with the ref. Personally I love seeing a striker throw his weight about against defenders at this level that can’t take it.
I'd say he's targeted because it's obvious how crucial he is to our attacking threat. Stop Bowman = stop City.

Legohead

Banned
I'd say he's targeted because it's obvious how crucial he is to our attacking threat. Stop Bowman = stop City.
Well Orient stopped him from scoring and getting into dangerous areas and we still won 4-0, the opener being set up by Bowman who at the time was being pestered by a defender. So stopping him scoring doesn't necessarily mean the other team stops us from giving them a hiding.

robchave

As a ream, we appear to be pretty 'quiet' when treatment gets handed out. We just get on with it, whereas many other teams make far more fuss and, often, they get far more out of the ref as a result. I think we should react more when one of ours gets clattered and Jake Taylor should be 'in the ref's ear' a bit more too.

DawlishBouy

I'm not understanding why he would be treated differently from any other player?
Bowman gets short changed by referees because he has a “reputation” of being a dirty player. See:
and: