• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jevani Brown

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Moreover, the two charges are 'summary offences', hence why the case will be heard in the magistrates court and not in the crown court.
Plainly, an admission of guilt is not an especially good look, but, on the basis of what we know thus far, I think some of those wanting Jevani hung, drawn, and quartered without further ado might be getting a bit carried away.
Yes Egg more than a bit.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Also it seems that GC wanted to play him again at Port Vale...
The only source I've seen for this assertion is someone saying it on here – as I recall the same person suggested this was all a storm in a teacup and it was inconceivable Jevani would be found guilty of anything, while anyone who dared suggest a guilty plea might be imminent was told they didn't know what they were talking about.

Boyo

The only source I've seen for this assertion is someone saying it on here – as I recall the same person suggested this was all a storm in a teacup and it was inconceivable Jevani would be found guilty of anything, while anyone who dared suggest a guilty plea might be imminent was told they didn't know what they were talking about.
Indeed. Unsurprisingly, no sign of wiveygrecian on this thread today.

lamrobhero

Moreover, the two charges are 'summary offences', hence why the case will be heard in the magistrates court and not in the crown court.
Plainly, an admission of guilt is not an especially good look, but, on the basis of what we know thus far, I think some of those wanting Jevani hung, drawn, and quartered without further ado might be getting a bit carried away.
Devon Live states that it will be heard at the Crown Court.

Radio Free Skaro

Haven't seen or heard anyone on Exeweb wanting Jevani hung, drawn & quartered! the worst I have heard is that because JB has pleaded guilty to assaulting a woman he won't be playing for Exeter City again.

thermopylai

It really is a miserable situation.

As the legal definition of "assault" is so wide, we still have no idea precisely what he has admitted to. Could it even be a threatening, but not actually physical, response to racial abuse? (in which case, could the other person be charged with hate speech?)

What really doesn't help is provocative and misleading the headline in the Sun, which will only stir up more tension.

Nigel E

This one is simple. Jevani Brown has pleaded guilty to assaullting a woman. He should now be sacked by the club.
End of story
This situation is very sad but far from simple. There are at least three reasons why remaining in employment, but not being "on public duties" is likely to be the right approach in these circumstances.

- A charge/conviction of this nature (probably non-custodial) *might* not be sufficient to trigger any contractual provisions for dismissal, and therefore any sacking could lead to the Club being successful sued in a Tribunal for unfair dismissal. We just don't know.
- there *might* be aggravating/mitigating factors surrounding the incident(s) that might make the situation less "cut and dried". We just don't know.
- the Club has a duty of care to every one of its employees whatever they get up to. Jevani *could* be full of remorse and in a fragile mental state. We just don't know.

I'm inclined to think that an employer in possession of all the facts on these issues - and which also has a history of making good calls - will reach a better decision than a random person on the internet who doesn't know all the facts.

It can be very tempting to sprint for the moral high ground when something like this happens. But it can be a very lonely hilltop for employers that take precipitate and/or unlawful actions against employees in a fragile state of mind.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Haven't seen or heard anyone on Exeweb wanting Jevani hung, drawn & quartered! the worst I have heard is that because JB has pleaded guilty to assaulting a woman he won't be playing for Exeter City again.
So, without knowing any of details of what, exactly, Jevani has been charged with [the fact that it's being heard in the magistrates court suggests it's a relatively minor offence] or waiting to learn more about any aggravating factors [there's a suggestion Jevani was racially abused] you think it's entirely reasonable to say he should never play for Exeter again?!

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Devon Live states that it will be heard at the Crown Court.
I'm 99.9 per cent certain that's incorrect. I believe the magistrates court is now located within the crown court building which is often the source of some confusion.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm 99.9 per cent certain that's incorrect. I believe the magistrates court is now located within the crown court building which is often the source of some confusion.
I'm now 100 per cent sure this is incorrect and will be changed imminently. This, incidentally, is what happen when you do away with sub-editors! ;-)