• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Joe Root Resigns......

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
...... I suppose it was always coming. Who next?

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
No obvious candidate for me :unsure:

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Ollie Pope.

Alistair20000

James Vince although the decision to insert Surrey yesterday did not go well.

He has been a good captain at Hampshire. We know his problems in nicking off but Joe Root has developed the same fault.

But, as Mr Dozen says, there is no obvious candidate.

I hope free of the captaincy Root will score stacks of test match runs.

Antony Moxey

Good. As batsman he’s second to none but as a captain he’s utterly useless. His record speaks for itself, so regarding an obvious candidate it’s obvious it could be anyone but Root.

sign of the chimes

James Vince although the decision to insert Surrey yesterday did not go well.

He has been a good captain at Hampshire. We know his problems in nicking off but Joe Root has developed the same fault.

But, as Mr Dozen says, there is no obvious candidate.

I hope free of the captaincy Root will score stacks of test match runs.
I'd have picked Vince for the Ashes - as you say his getting in and nicking off for 20/30 for England is well known - but it's not as though we've a row of players looking like averaging 40+ in Test Cricket are lining up.

I'm assuming they'll offer it to Stokes if he wants it - but I'm not convinced it would be the right decision (feel free to resurrect this comment when he goes on to be the best captain we've ever had).

I saw Nick Compton earlier float the idea of appointing Broad. Whilst I'm not against a short-term appointment (there was a really good Vic Marks column on the Guardian site a few months back that reminded me the captaincy didn't used to result in a dynasty - even ignoring those summers where we'd end up with four different captains across a series because the TCCB was dysfunctional) - I'd worry about Broad, as I just get the sense he's one of those individuals who projects huge self-confidence but without any of the skills to justify it, allied to a massive lack of empathy.

The worry with Root is that the captain has a contract that is seriously well remunerated relative to other central contracts. In the absence of that will he end up playing more franchise cricket having focused primarily on Tests during his tenure as captain. If so, will that impact on his ability/focus to score the runs England desperately need from the middle order?

Alistair20000

Ben Stokes has enough on his plate with what we need from his bowling and batting. Also has issues with his mental well-being. The captaincy would be one step too far for me. Ian Botham all over again ?

Stuart Broad is a possible but generally bowlers don’t make the best captains.

The cupboard ain’t too well stocked to be honest.