• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Just to brighten up the day

Legohead

Banned
Lego might be needing the full body armour today, as Exewebbers read these posts and take aim! ;)

I realize everyone has different perspectives, that's always been part of following football, and you're entitled to yours of course ... but I can't imagine thinking that way about a thumping local derby win (surely our best ever, in both performance and goals).

40 years ago I was a teenager in the Cowshed for *that* 4-0 win v Newcastle. By the same logic, it really didn't matter, because City lost in the next round at Spurs. No Wembley, no Cup. And yet ... 40 years on, City fans of that generation still go on about it, still reminisce about the whole night. And other experiences didn't matter either, like the dramatic play-off games v Oxford in the Conference, or Carlisle more recently (neither one led to promotion). As for drawing at Old Trafford ... we'd already banked the cash even if we lost 9-0! So why bother enjoying it when it happened? Or indeed ... any Cup run, ever?

Because it's about enjoying the moment. Making the memories. Otherwise football is just a Super League spreadsheet.
The Newcastle story you give though is totally different. Just say City beat Argyle 4-0 in the FA Cup and then lost in the next round. That 4-0 rout would still matter even after Exeter getting knocked out in the next round because Argyle were knocked out by Exeter. Totally different scenario. Argyle don't progress over Exeter.

Cup runs are totally different and non comparable.

Just say that we beat Argyle 4-0 in the league and then we got relegated to the NL whilst Argyle got promoted to L1. Would this resounding victory still give ECFC the upper hand? This is all i am saying. The bigger picture is that in the scenario of last season, Argyle fans could be going to the likes of Sunderland, Derby, Sheffield Wednesday etc next season whilst we potentially could be playing Sutton United, Rochdale and Harrogate unless MT gets his finger out of his arse.

As i said though, on the day it was a day to remember forever and their striker was one of the worst i've ever seen. Scottish lad i think. Forgot his name but he was worse than Seymour.

Last edited:

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Newcastle story you give though is totally different. Just say City beat Argyle 4-0 in the FA Cup and then lost in the next round. That 4-0 rout would still matter even after Exeter getting knocked out in the next round because Argyle were knocked out by Exeter. Totally different scenario. Argyle don't progress over Exeter.

Cup runs are totally different and non comparable.

Just say that we beat Argyle 4-0 in the league and then we got relegated to the NL whilst Argyle got promoted to L1. Would this resounding victory still give ECFC the upper hand? This is all i am saying. The bigger picture is that in the scenario of last season, Argyle fans could be going to the likes of Sunderland, Derby, Sheffield Wednesday etc next season whilst we potentially could be playing Sutton United, Rochdale and Harrogate unless MT gets his finger out of his arse.

As i said though, on the day it was a day to remember forever.
It wouldn't give us the upper hand but would be a bright spark in an otherwise ***** season, It would still matter Lego.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
So gutted I missed this game. Bleddy wife and her 40th birthday celebrations...So inconsiderate!

Just shows how well we can play under Taylor....Let’s not forget, we were scoring a shed load earlier this season and as much as I am frustrated with recent weeks, we’ve got to push forward and hope next season comes together properly.

UTC

tonykellowfan

Lego might be needing the full body armour today, as Exewebbers read these posts and take aim! ;)

I realize everyone has different perspectives, that's always been part of following football, and you're entitled to yours of course ... but I can't imagine thinking that way about a thumping local derby win (surely our best ever, in both performance and goals).

40 years ago I was a teenager in the Cowshed for *that* 4-0 win v Newcastle. By the same logic, it really didn't matter, because City lost in the next round at Spurs. No Wembley, no Cup. And yet ... 40 years on, City fans of that generation still go on about it, still reminisce about the whole night. And other experiences didn't matter either, like the dramatic play-off games v Oxford in the Conference, or Carlisle more recently (neither one led to promotion). As for drawing at Old Trafford ... we'd already banked the cash even if we lost 9-0! So why bother enjoying it when it happened? Or indeed ... any Cup run, ever?

Because it's about enjoying the moment. Making the memories. Otherwise football is just a Super League spreadsheet.
The one missing from that list which really did matter was the second leg game vs Torquay away which lead to promotion from the Conference.

IndoMike

Yes but the key point is that DOES the game matter to Argyle fans right now? Will they be hurting forever because we smashed them 4-0 in a season where our late season capitulation handed them promotion? Not only that but they also got a really good laugh watching us get mullered by the same scoreline in the P/O final whilst they were already a L1 side. Right now they sit in L1 and we allowed them to get promoted.

That's all i see. The bigger picture i guess but i acknowledge that i do not have the same long standing emotional attachment to this fixture as most Grecians supporters and as a consequence of this i cannot begin to appreciate the depth of feeling that accompanies any victory over Argyle.

Superb day though. Really happy to have experienced it.
The season was cut short due to covid19.
We don't know if we would have gotten into the autos or not. Maybe unlikely because we were on a slightly downward trend, but we don't know that for sure. So fate decided the matter : Argyle were lucky : we weren't.
PS. Yes. We capitulated in the play-off final, like we did against Blackpool and Coventry.

haka

The one missing from that list which really did matter was the second leg game vs Torquay away which lead to promotion from the Conference.
Sure, but that's the whole point. Most memorable wins don't result in silverware or promotion in the end. Torquay was the exception.

If it's only about the destination (a trophy, a Wembley win), then we're all supporting the wrong team. I'm sure for most of us it's about the journey and the hope ... which occasionally becomes reality.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
1 - 5 at home to Chester City was a memorable game ! 😭

:D

I was a nipper on the Big Bank.

Exeter City 1-5 Chester City (1996-97) - YouTube

iscalad

1 - 5 at home to Chester City was a memorable game ! 😭

:D

Exeter City 1-5 Chester City (1996-97) - YouTube
Luckily I missed that one.

brb

Would a real City fan put anything negative on a thread about a 4-0 drubbing of Argyle? Quite shocking behaviour if they did.

Avening Posse

I raise you beating Argyle away 3-0 when Alan Ball was in charge......some day that !