• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Last film watched..

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Barbarella (1968)

Utter bilge apart from Hanoi Jane in various poses of undress, the evilness of Anita Pallenberg as the Great Tyrant and a cameo from Milo O’ Shea as the deranged Durand-Durand.

I guess Roger Vadim wanted to show off his trophy wife.

Must check my psychocardiogram
And your blood pressure. 😀

iscalad

One film you won't be able to catch is Batgirl.

In an unprecedented move, due to it being so awful, the studios refused to release it having written off the $90m costs.

I'm really hoping it's leaked at some point just to see how bad it actually is.

Surely can't be as bad as Battlefield Earth?
They scrapped the Scooby movie as well.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Where The Crawdads Sing. A woman who raised herself in the marshes is accused of murdering a young man that she'd been involved in. I thoroughly enjoyed the film and it went along very quickly. 8/10.

Bridgy 81

Where The Crawdads Sing. A woman who raised herself in the marshes is accused of murdering a young man that she'd been involved in. I thoroughly enjoyed the film and it went along very quickly. 8/10.
I saw that one this week too.
I was thrown a bit initially because we usually prefer early in the day screenings so we can scoff our packed lunch during the film. But this one didn’t start until 5pm, so it was a Wetherspoons mixed grill on the way home instead.
Anyway, the film wasn’t the sort of thing I’d personally choose to watch but as we go to the cinema two or three times most months compromises are required from one or other of us from time to time!
That said I quite enjoyed the film, which just goes to show, don’t say you don’t like it until you’ve tried it!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Fire of Love (2022). The story of volcanologists Katia and Maurice Krafft. They fell in love with volcanos and with each other. Some great shots and film of volcanoes very close up (too close up!), and an interesting biography of the couple. A little odd and quite quirky. 6/10.

We saw this an an indie cinema near Covent Gardens, called Garden Cinema (on Parker Street). Lovely little cinema showing films that your local cinemas won't. Currently they have a Penelope Cruz series and coming up they have a Mike Leigh film series that will include post screening an interview with him. If you're ever nearby then do check it out!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Bullet Train. This is a film about Brad Pitt in action on a film set. It is supposed to be about revenge for Japanese gangsters, though a lot of the characters are English or American. The brothers Lemon and Tangerine are excellent characters and support West Ham hence various renditions of Forever Blowing Bubbles. Most critics have panned it, but I quite enjoyed it, so don't take the film seriously and if you've ever been on the shinkansen trains in Japan then ignore the inaccuracies :) 6/10.

Bridgy 81

Back to an early afternoon screening this week to watch Nope, so our packed lunches made a welcome return.
Interesting film.
It’s a kind of mixture of science fiction and horror with the story following two siblings trying to capture photographic proof of the UFO that’s causing trouble and hiding behind a cloud above the ranch they run.
We enjoyed it.
Fisherman’s Friends: One and All next week (lunchtime showing, of course).

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I'm a little worried about the news that Cineworld might be going bankrupt. They're nice and convenient for us being just a walk away. :(

Banksy

I'm a little worried about the news that Cineworld might be going bankrupt. They're nice and convenient for us being just a walk away. :(
I’ve wondered about that for some time Hants. Here in Ashford Cineworld have a cinema monopoly and I pay double here to what I used to in other cities now.Some of my family have these subscriptions thingies where you pay a lump sum and watch as many films as you like but I don’t go enough now to warrant that. I think last time I paid £13 which expensive when you double it up with the wife , and if you added in a couple of kids it would be a chunk out of the housekeeping each week. So I think it’s just a matter of time before the recession catches up with them.Eating outs the same , we went out a couple of times last week and it starts to mount up especially when you’re paying for three. After battling Covid and now this recession a lot of businesses will start to fall by the wayside if they can be cut out of folks’ budgets. Football seems to be holding up , but that obviously can be expensive too what with the travelling expenses and something to eat added in.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I’ve wondered about that for some time Hants. Here in Ashford Cineworld have a cinema monopoly and I pay double here to what I used to in other cities now.Some of my family have these subscriptions thingies where you pay a lump sum and watch as many films as you like but I don’t go enough now to warrant that. I think last time I paid £13 which expensive when you double it up with the wife , and if you added in a couple of kids it would be a chunk out of the housekeeping each week. So I think it’s just a matter of time before the recession catches up with them.Eating outs the same , we went out a couple of times last week and it starts to mount up especially when you’re paying for three. After battling Covid and now this recession a lot of businesses will start to fall by the wayside if they can be cut out of folks’ budgets. Football seems to be holding up , but that obviously can be expensive too what with the travelling expenses and something to eat added in.
It can be quite quiet at times. Vue in the next town is a lot cheaper, but not so convenient.

Nearly all the restaurants in the square by the cinema have closed meaning a night out as part of seeing a film no longer happens. We have a dearth of decent restaurants in Aldershot sadly.