• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Last film watched..

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Saw this film at the Cinema in the Arches at the Battersea Power Station. It has three small cinemas under the arches, and the seats reclined. No noise from the trains above! The screen had a curtain that opened for a trailer, closed and re-opened for the film. Proper stuff! :)
I bet the Popcorn was expensive !

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I bet the Popcorn was expensive !
We're not popcorn fans, but I can confirm that the ice creams weren't cheap!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Empire of Light. Directed by Sam Mendes and starring Olivia Colman and Micheal Ward. Set in an English seaside (Margate) in 1980/81 it explores relationships between young and old and black and white and set against the backdrop of violence by the NF. Olivia is central to the story while metaphorically outside of the cinema she works in.

Very good, 9/10

Mr Jinx

Escape from Sobibor

Hasn't aged at all badly. Grim, edge of the seat stuff. 8.5/10

DB9

Escape from Sobibor

Hasn't aged at all badly. Grim, edge of the seat stuff. 8.5/10
Try the new version, It's a grim subject I know but it's true to the the story.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Glass Onions. Sequel to Knives Out and starring Daniel Craig as the famed southern detective. Located on a Greek Island a party is organised by a Job/Musk/Zuckerberg type person. There is a murder to investigate, though the reroll of events changes your view! A good film, 8/10.

Bridgy 81

Back to our local cinema today for the first time this year.
We saw A Man Called Otto.
It’s based on a Swedish book about a recently widowed man, played by Tom Hanks, who doesn’t want to carry on living so attempts suicide in various different ways.
That might sound a bit bleak but it was poignant rather than morbid and there were numerous lighter moments especially when Otto had to deal with a boisterous family who move in opposite him.
I suppose some people might find the ending a little syrupy but we enjoyed the film.
Our packed lunch of cheese and ham sarnies and a jam filled hot cross bun hit the spot too.

fred binneys head

It’s based on a Swedish book about a recently widowed man, played by Tom Hanks, who doesn’t want to carry on living so attempts suicide in various different ways.
That might sound a bit bleak but it was poignant rather than morbid and there were numerous lighter moments especially when Otto had to deal with a boisterous family who move in opposite him.
I suppose some people might find the ending a little syrupy but we enjoyed the film.
Our packed lunch of cheese and ham sarnies and a jam filled hot cross bun hit the spot too.
I'll definitely watch that, I read the book a good few years ago and loved it. Let's see if the film hits the spot.

Banksy

It’s not often you get a film and fine cuisine review at the same time. 😀

arthur

Till, about the murder of Emmett Till in Mississippi in 1955 and his mother's fight for justice. A good story, well acted but marred by over lush production, people picking cotton in clothes straight out of a Persil advert, way over the top loud dramatic music and a tendency to make sure your're told exactly how you should be feeling. When will the Americans learn that less is more...