• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League 1 News 22-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sheffield Wednesday are looking like selling out for the game against Argyle. Some crowd that for third tier.
Iirc the record was set in a match between Villa and Bournemouth of 48,110 circa fifty years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if that still stands. Both teams were fighting it out at the top of the league and were 1st and 2nd respectively. The Bournemouth side contained their legendary strike force of Boyer and MacDougall.

Google suggests that the record for the third tier is the Sheffield derby at Hillsborough in 1979 that had 49,309

Leads

I'm sure Sunderland tried to claim the 'modern' record of having the highest attendance in the third tier, I think they got to 45 000 + a couple of years back. They didn't elaborate as to what counted as modern though (presumably not 1979).

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm sure Sunderland tried to claim the 'modern' record of having the highest attendance in the third tier, I think they got to 45 000 + a couple of years back. They didn't elaborate as to what counted as modern though (presumably not 1979).
Correct, it was on their netflix series.

DB9

Correct, it was on their netflix series.
You're right there Red, I think it was an Xmas fixture against Bradford City.

Grecianpasty

You're right there Red, I think it was an Xmas fixture against Bradford City.
Yep it was boxing day 2018 against Bradford. Officially the largest crowd in league one at 46k.

Reactions: DB9

Colesman Ballz

Stockley scores on his debut for Fleetwood.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Apparently Loangyle are thinking of taking our Harry (MoM for Parkway today) on Emergency GK loan - they like keepers born in Exeter !
UTC

C j phill

Apparently Loangyle are thinking of taking our Harry (MoM for Parkway today) on Emergency GK loan - they like keepers born in Exeter !
UTC
Unless he goes there as first choice goalie for the emergency loan period, what would be the benefit to City or Harry? I thought he went to Parkway for full game experience, not to sit on the bench for another Club. Of course, if he went to Argyle as emergency loan, with the intention of playing a game or two, he could throw in a couple of "unintended" howlers, and blow their automatic promotion hopes off course.

DawlishBouy

Argyle have a fit keeper. They are not entitled to sign another keeper apart from free agents.

Status
Not open for further replies.