• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Lionesses

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

Or money to stand on their own two feet instead of riding on the financial shirt tails of the men's game. If they want to have longevity and not be continuously compared to the men's game it's a necessary evil I'm afraid.
Disagree with this 100%.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Disagree with this 100%.
If they are to stand on their own two feet financially, how do you think they will go about it? Most games in the WSL have attendences less than ours. Women are wanting an equal standing, that will include pay. TV rights are massive in whatever sport you care to mention in terms of income

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Football coming home.jpg

Spoonz Red E

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
If they are to stand on their own two feet financially, how do you think they will go about it? Most games in the WSL have attendences less than ours. Women are wanting an equal standing, that will include pay. TV rights are massive in whatever sport you care to mention in terms of income
Average WSL attendance is about 2000...

Totally agree about having to stand on their own two feet. There is an interesting documentary on the beeb by Alex Scott and she and all female footballers are in total agreement about the need for women's football to become self funding.

It becomes sustainable by the product being good enough to attract supporters to the stadiums and television companies buying the rights. It's important they sell to the highest bidder to move the game forward, if the bbc pay a fiver for the rights the lack of money in the game will keep the quality relatively low and numbers in the ground also very low.

I've watched a decent amount of WSL games and it's similar to what we have seen in the Euro's in that there are 3 or 4 good sides and the rest are dreadful. More money in the game will mean an overall better standard and therefore a more profitable and sustainable game.

DB9

German football press very bitter about the result. 🤷

tavyred

The growth in the England women’s game since we got d1cked by Germany in the 2009 euro final has not been organic, it’s quite rightly required heavy investment by the FA. A wholly reasonable act when you consider the highly dubious banning of the womens game by the FA in the last century.
The FA owe women and girls big time, it’s the least they can do IMO.

fred binneys head

I remember many years ago when I was in a 5 a side team at work and the women we worked with who went to the gym and played a bit of football were genuinely confident they could beat us. Although we spent weeks trying to persuade them that it was a waste of time, they insisted we played. Our defender smoked a cigarette throughout the game. Different games, shouldn’t be compared. Serena Williams once said she would lose 6-0, 6-0 to the men’s number 200 or something like that.

The Lionesses were fantastic last night, I was more pleased for them getting to the final than I was for the men last year.

fred binneys head

Sorry, I posted the above on the wrong thread. Should have been the one comparing men’s and women’s sports in the WOWS.

DB9

Sorry, I posted the above on the wrong thread. Should have been the one comparing men’s and women’s sports in the WOWS.
Tis confusing FBH, Probably the thread on the WOWS should be moved here rather than be there, Also there is a thread dedicated to the ECFC women's team too which should be there i think due to the fact it is an ECFC team.