• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Little things that annoy you

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Someone in my road paid for an extension at an hourly rate. Took nearly 9 months.
That should be in the thread titled ‘Things that make you think what a bell.’.

Grecian2K

Why would you be paying trades on an hourly rate?
For "emergency" or "diagnostic" work it's fairly standard, surely? And most profit/gouging comes from the "exceptionals"
If tendering for an already designed project a lump sum quote is, of course, the norm (albeit usually with E&OEs buried in the smallest print.)
Certainly, back in my days in construction the Daywork and/or Hourly Rates in the BoQ one could manage to justify were sometimes the difference between profit and loss
(And all without the need for "choreography" - except, of course, the contractual or financial kind)

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

Someone in my road paid for an extension at an hourly rate. Took nearly 9 months.
Reminds me of when I was doing a bit of work for a fella in Chard Rd in the early 1990s, he was having his kitchen modernised. I would go around on the Saturday for a bit of cash at a agreed hr rate to sort out the gas, water & electric installation. The first thing he would do was to crack open a couple of cans of Lager for me & himself 😁 Then we would chat about our day jobs for a bit( he worked for the same company as me) before he let me get on with it.
Took about 5 Saturdays in the end 😁

grecIAN Harris

Cyclist riding in the main road when there is a perfectly good cycle path beside of the main road.

Grecian2K

Took about 5 Saturdays in the end 😁
I sincerely trust though that you didn't charge him for your 3.00-4.50pm afternoon "leisure break" mate.

Grecian2K

Cyclist riding in the main road when there is a perfectly good cycle path beside of the main road.
Even more so, cyclists riding on the pavement when there is a perfectly good (and expensively provided) cycle path beside it! 😡

Oldsmobile-88

I sincerely trust though that you didn't charge him for your 3.00-4.50pm afternoon "leisure break" mate.
Ha...I think I would have completed the work in a quarter of the time without his constant chit chat & refreshments offered.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Cyclists bypassing the red lights by going up on the pavements then back onto the road again once through the lights !

I like to shout over to them that red lights are for everyone not just people driving motor vehicles.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I do it because I'm not paying attention. I quite often post a match day updated on some random thread 🙂
Just did it again 😳

cannockred

Just did it again 😳
Have you got "great attention to detail" as one of your strengths in your CV?😉