• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Manager Thread..Appointments & Dismissals

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Farce pt ii

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Farce pt ii
Just what football people want, The (Co) Chairman in the dugout. :rolleyes:

dontpassback

You have to feel for the Crawley supporters,these clowns have no idea,and the only way is down,the players and staff of Crawley must be underwhelmed with what is happening

sign of the chimes

Feckin' Cowleys (TM) gone at Pompey

Alistair20000

Feckin' Cowleys (TM) gone at Pompey
Rejoice ! Rejoice !

sign of the chimes

Rejoice ! Rejoice !
I thought you'd be pleased Al2K.

I'm disappointed on some levels as despite their touchline antics (and that I didn't enjoy DC's interview style) they came across as decent, hard-working people who had worked very hard to get where they were. They were also excellent within the local community, going far and beyond their predecessors. However, results and performances over the past couple of months have done for them. I suspect that some of the noise starting to direct at the owners made the Cowleys useful lightning rods to boot.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster

I'm disappointed on some levels as despite their touchline antics (and that I didn't enjoy DC's interview style) they came across as decent, hard-working people who had worked very hard to get where they were. They were also excellent within the local community, going far and beyond their predecessors. However, results and performances over the past couple of months have done for them. I suspect that some of the noise starting to direct at the owners made the Cowleys useful lightning rods to boot.
SOTC - I take it vocal Pompey fans eventually persuaded owners but it took me until after half time at SJP V Pompey to work out that what I thought was "Pompey, Pompey, Pompey" was in fact "Cowleys, Cowleys, Cowleys" which led me to believe that travelling fans were behind them !
Maybe drawing at SJP was the start of their demise - who do you want next, and please don't say Gary Caldwell as us Grecians can't go through the manager process again so soon ?
PUP & UTC

sign of the chimes

SOTC - I take it vocal Pompey fans eventually persuaded owners but it took me until after half time at SJP V Pompey to work out that what I thought was "Pompey, Pompey, Pompey" was in fact "Cowleys, Cowleys, Cowleys" which led me to believe that travelling fans were behind them !
Maybe drawing at SJP was the start of their demise - who do you want next, and please don't say Gary Caldwell as us Grecians can't go through the manager process again so soon ?
PUP & UTC
My take - I don't profess to speak for our entire fanbase - was that the Cowleys had a great deal of support for almost all of their time in charge. To be fair they were very good at PR; and we also had some good runs of results and were really unlucky with injuries early this season.

That we've not won a league match for about two and a half months is ultimately what has done for them. I think the performances against you on Boxing Day and Ipswich a few days later (we drew with them too) actually felt like we might be turning a corner, but the performance yesterday (NYD) against Charlton was abject - even I had a little 'boo' at half-time - which isn't my thing at all - but I'll blame it being panto season. Overriding sense seems to be that it was an inevitability they would have to go, but that most are disappointed it hasn't worked out as people seemed to connect with them.

My gut feeling is that the ownership is starting to feel a bit of pressure for the first time, and this has expedited their decision to get rid of the manager. They took over from the fans-backed consortium just after we were promoted to L1, which is where we remain. Plenty of fans are very grateful for the investment in the stadium to maintain and slightly grow the capacity, but plenty of others angry about the stagnation on the pitch. Additionally Cowley was appointed by our previous CEO not long before the current one - who has now appointed a DoF - took the reins; so suspect that has also given them less longevity than Kenny Jackett was afforded.

re. who I want next - I'm not sure. The thing I noticed was that the statement on our official site announcing the Cowley departure talked about the appointment of a new coaching team. On that basis, and given the recent DoF appointment, I think we'll be appointing someone who is very much there to coach and improve players and set the side up; so not expecting a 'name' I've heard of.

Alistair20000

I agree with all you say Chimes. They are capable of doing a decent job. They don’t need to engage in the obnoxious and sh!tty behaviour.